· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Possibly as often but far less volume per top up.

Stable salinity is simply a matter of mixing/heating up your top off SW in a dif container and then adding from the ready made as needed. It should remain stable as long as you add the same salinity SW as what's in the tank
    Hrm. Maybe we do it wrong at work. I was shown/taught to top off with RO water. Only time we ever add salt water is when we do the water change once a week or if the nitrates are over 0. Eek.
    3 Gallon Planted Betta Tank
    4 gallon planted Aqueon Evolve Dwarf Puffer Tank

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Possibly as often but far less volume per top up.

Stable salinity is simply a matter of mixing/heating up your top off SW in a dif container and then adding from the ready made as needed. It should remain stable as long as you add the same salinity SW as what's in the tank
    I think she's talking about topping it off with RO/DI water. Salt doesn't evaporate, only water. when the water evaporates, the salinity increases in your tank. Then you top the water back off and the salinity decreases.

I'm new so I can't tell you what swing in salinity could do to your fish or coral but I would be concerned about nitrates increasing due to the small tank size, if I'm not mistaking.

One more thing, I put the tops back on my tank to prevent some evaporation and I know that prevents the release of some gases, I think CO2. Might want to have someone tell you if that would be a bigger issue in a smaller tank.
    Last edited by GoWild; 06-06-2012 at 05:46 AM.
    72 gallon saltwater

Arrow I need to go to bed lol

0 Not allowed!
    oh yeah - top offs - Yeah I fluffed that one lol.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 06-06-2012 at 05:53 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I misread that entirely
    That's why I quoted cliff cause he shot down all my ideas to get started and is still doing it when I show him my sump ideas LOL But that makes you only want to do it right. Atleast with a ten gallon you'd only have to go to the grocery store and fill up two 5 gallon buckets of RO water to get started, unlike me where I was trying to save and filled up 25 1 gallon jugs of RO water and made three trips LOL It wasn't cheap buying powerheads,test kits, heaters, salt, LR, live sand, etc.

I now use 5 gallon jugs and 5 gallon buckets to get my RO/DI water LOL

But these are things the OP has to think about if money is an issue. HOB refugium, skimmers, Is he/she gonna want to eventually use a sump to make is water parameters stable, and keep his/her display tank always filled up (very nice to have water evaporate from the sump not the display) Then you need an overflow box, sump, return pump (all not cheap) Plus I wouldn't want all that crap hanging in my tank.

my advice is to get a drilled tank with a sump. the only way to go!
    Last edited by GoWild; 06-06-2012 at 06:19 AM.
    72 gallon saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoWild
    That's why I quoted cliff cause he shot down all my ideas to get started and is still doing it when I show him my sump ideas LOL But that makes you only want to do it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoWild
    This guys a real pain in the butt when it comes to telling it like it is cause most of the time it's not what you want to hear LOL but he's been helping me alot with my first sw set up.
    I may be a pain in the neck at times, but there is a reason for it. I want to see as many long tern and successful hobbyists here on the forum as possible. My advice is based on everything I have learned and my first hand experiences. I'm not trying to shoot down your dreams, only trying to help you avoid problems down the road and having to learn a few things the hard way.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    I may be a pain in the neck at times, but there is a reason for it. I want to see as many long tern and successful hobbyists here on the forum as possible. My advice is based on everything I have learned and my first hand experiences. I'm not trying to shoot down your dreams, only trying to help you avoid problems down the road and having to learn a few things the hard way.
    +1 just giving you a hard time. but for some us newbies, we get excited to start new tanks, to hear start slow, etc can bum us out LOL but when you here it more than once, reality hits you, cliff, are probably right and need to re-tune what we are trying to do to make it better.

I'm interested in what the OP decided to do
    72 gallon saltwater

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Let me just jump right in here,grab another stick to help Cliff beat the GO SLOW drum! A 10 is in no way an appropriate sized tank to start off with. If money is the issue,then stick with fw,its dirt cheap there,the fish are mostly commercially raised and much easier to keep. Corals require rock solid water keeping skills and there is very little room for error evn in a 55 to 75 gal tank. I consider myself a conscientious fish keeper and I am a gross newb in the reef world. All the early advice and finger wagging must be heeded and absorbed. Sw critters are extremely fragile and mostly wild caught,it is your absolute responsibility to do it right right away and the whole time. Other then that,enjoy it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123