· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Yes you can set any aquarium with easy, if you research first and learn. As I stated in my last post you need to understand the challenges of a small reef tank so you can plan your set-up to avoid them.

You will always have more challenges with a smaller marine set-up as apposed to a larger one. The difficulty come if your not ready for them. I did not word that part very well
    Last edited by Cliff; 06-05-2012 at 02:25 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    What it would cost to set up that 10 gallons with the proper lights, coral, etc, you could buy a 55 gallon.

0 Not allowed!
    Although I don't have a SW set-up, please be aware that the majority of posts seen on this forum have to do with water quality issues - even if you decide to set up something in a 10gal tank, just be aware of potential problems down the line. Very often the enthusiasm needed to maintain a smaller tank doesn't last and it could become more of a chore than a joy.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think it's a question of "How hard is it to set up a 10 gal" it's more of a "How hard is it to maintain a 10 gal"

I agree with both Cliff and Tigerbarb (yes I know they disagreed hahaha) but I truly think it's a mix of both of their answers. To tigerbarb's point, yes you do need to be diligent that's for sure, and to Cliff's point a 10g is a terrible starter tank IMO. For the sole reason that if something changes and you aren't ready for it you'll have a tank crash fast.

Not to say that if you were to get a 55gal things would be exponentially easier, SW requires knowledge before you start and you can't really just wing it without the results coming back to bite you in about a year.

However if you have your heart set on a 10g and you can do it right (lighting, filtration and stocking) then I say go for it, you'll have to do your HW and see what the different options are. There are tanks which include a skimmer system in the back of the tank (the tank is partitioned) and all kinds of systems. What you shouldn't do is base what you think is possible off of one or two youtube videos. We have no idea what that guys SW experience was or what else he does to maintain the tank, therefor we really can't pass judgement. There are some people who are extremely knowledgeble of the hobby who fun 5g micro tanks with a couple zoas and a clown goby haha but they know exactly what they're doing and what the reaction will be to any of their actions.

Bottom line, it's definitely do-able, you won't have the room for error that you would in a larger tank. But with a mix of diligence and background research I think it's definitely do-able.
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If a 10g is all you can do, go for it. I would just suggest that you research a lot into your equipment before you purchase. IME, you can waist a ton of money buying equipment that you just end up getting rid of, so you can get something better. Spend big right away, and you will be better off. Couple of tips:

1. Locate your water source before you begin. You will need to purchase (or filter your own) RO|DI water for top offs. You will also use that water to mix your saltwater. The other option is to buy premixed SW from your LFS, but make sure they use good RO\DI water to start.

2. Purchase cured liverock from your LFS or a fellow reefer. Bring buckets of premixed water with you when you make the purchase. Transport the liverock in the saltwater. This will decrease your cycle time dramatically.

3. Think about going to 20g, just because you will have a lot more lighting options. There aren't many lights made for 20" tanks, you will have a lot more to choose from if you switch to a 24" tank.

4. If you aren't going with a mini skimmer, look into setting up some type of hang on back fuge. A lot of people modify Aquaclear filters and turn them into a fuge. There is also a company called InTank that makes media racks for aquaclears, so it will work as a filter and a fuge.

5. Feed and stock lightly.

6. Your water changes will be essential to your water quality, so set up a schedule and follow it!

Good luck!
    40g SW

Default 10G SW = microscopic margin of error & a steep newb learning curve.. Just saying

0 Not allowed!
    One point to not overlook wrt the equipment that coachfraley covered is that the cost to upgrade all of this equipment if/when you decide to upsize your tank [no matter if due to success or failure at the 10G size].

Practically none of it will be suitable for a larger tank [IE: 55G] and would need replacing.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Here ya go. - Tigerbarb A little something for a friend!! - Patriot Thanks for being there! - NickFish have a gift - mitcore :D - harls_aussie 
    I hope your dwarf gourami gets better!!! - Blue Ram A little something for my troubles - Tigerbarb Here you go mate! - Tolley My gift, lol - Tigerbarb Another one of my gifts lol - Tigerbarb 
    happy birthday - digger MORE!!! - Tigerbarb thanks! - The Red Severum you have no frog lol - angelcakes the closest thing to a moorish idol :) - Tigerbarb 
    here you go :) - OscarFan Have an oscar bud! - Soxfan For you my homie - xximanoobxx Happy Holidays - travie Merry Christmas - KingFisher 

0 Not allowed!
    "Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway..."
    Elliott smith

20g nano reef
    55g FOWLR saltwater
    29g planted freshwater
    10g planted freshwater

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff

You honestly can not cut corners without having to pay the piper latter on.
    This guys a real pain in the butt when it comes to telling it like it is cause most of the time it's not what you want to hear LOL but he's been helping me alot with my first sw set up.

Now for my .02, I have about 5 gallons a week that evaporates from my saltwater tank that I have to keep an eye on, The weather here keeps fluctuating so I am constantly worried about not getting my water temp to high.

Someone said set up a HOB fuge, I would recommend that to stabilize your water parameters. And don't expect to have a lot of fish in your tank cause the bioload will be to much if you're not on top of your tank.

I won't even attempt to buy expensive fish or more fish for that matter, in my 72 gallon until I get everything down packed.

But if you're up for the challenge and want to do it right, go for it. The cool thing about it, is it can be a self sustained eco system if you do it right, or atleast that's what they say. I don't know yet, since I'm still working my way there. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    72 gallon saltwater

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like keeping the water level up and topping off a 10 gallon SW would be a royal pain in the you know where...I maintain the salt water tank at work which is a 40 gallon and it has to get topped off everyday and I feel like a 10 gallon you'd have to top off a heck of a lot. I bet the salinity doesn't stay very stable?
    3 Gallon Planted Betta Tank
    4 gallon planted Aqueon Evolve Dwarf Puffer Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by leaveittoweaver
    ... I feel like a 10 gallon you'd have to top off a heck of a lot. I bet the salinity doesn't stay very stable?
    Possibly as often but far less volume per top up.

Stable salinity is simply a matter of mixing/heating up your top off SW in a dif container and then adding from the ready made as needed. It should remain stable as long as you add the same salinity SW as what's in the tank
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast