· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Starting first 10 Gal saltwater.

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys, it's been 2+ yrs since I started my first fresh water tank and so far so good and I think I'm finally ready to start a saltwater one.

I have a brand new 10 Gal tank w/ a filter that's been lying around for a while now, I've been watching videos on how to get a reef tank started and so far I think I have an idea but I still have some questions.

I'm planning on get some live sand,a heater and a 240 gph circulation pump to get the setup started, I wanna know if the filter (Aqueon quiet flow 10) that came with the tank could be used with saltwater or will I have to buy a new one and if so which one you guys recommend, I do plan to get some live rock when the time is right.

Also I stil have the testing kit I got for the freshwater tank and I was wondering if I could use it or should get a new one for the reef tank?

Thanks for all the advise in advance.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know a ton about saltwater, but I think most of our saltwater keepers will tell you that a 10g tank is way too small for a first saltwater tank, especially a reef. You want a bigger tank so you have more leeway with parameters and stuff.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you can, get at least a 55 gal. You need a test kit designed to work with saltwater, or you'll get very inaccurate readings.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino
    I don't know a ton about saltwater, but I think most of our saltwater keepers will tell you that a 10g tank is way too small for a first saltwater tank, especially a reef. You want a bigger tank so you have more leeway with parameters and stuff.

0 Not allowed!
    Nice video.

+1 to Brhino's statement.

You will be extremely limited in what corals you can keep and I can only think of one or two marine fish that could even be kept in a 10 gallon, not to mention the fact it will be difficult to maintain your parameters (dKH, Cal, Mag, PH, Nitrate, Phosphates, and your Salinity) in such a small volume of water.

If you truly want to have a reef tank, I would suggest waiting until you can set up a larger tank, 40 to 75 gallons.

Just my $0.02

Edit, I forgot to mention that if you add live rock after you tank has been cycled, you will most likely cause a mini-spike from the die-off the rock will get while you bring it home from the store. Using a filter for your biological filtration will not allow you to grow the de-nitrofying bacteria that reef tanks need and it will also produce a lot of nitrates if not cleaned around twice a week. Also, have you thought about adding/using a skimmer? All three of these situation can lead to a lot of problems a few months or a year down the road for you. I would suggest more research before starting a tank. The stickies here are a good start along with the below:

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...rine-aquarium/

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...ine-aquariums/

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...ing-saltwater/
    Last edited by Cliff; 06-05-2012 at 09:47 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    Nice video.

+1 to Brhino's statement.

You will be extremely limited in what corals you can keep and I can only think of one or two marine fish that could even be kept in a 10 gallon, not to mention the fact it will be difficult to maintain your parameters (dKH, Cal, Mag, PH, Nitrate, Phosphates, and your Salinity) in such a small volume of water.

If you truly want to have a reef tank, I would suggest waiting until you can set up a larger tank, 40 to 75 gallons.

Just my $0.02
    The video is not mine, I'm just trying to get the same setup this guy has, what't shocking to me is that he doesn't seem to have any of the fancy protein skimmers and very expensive live rock. In fact he explains he got it dead. I'm currently living in a 3rd floor apartment and I'm paranoid about having a bigger tank due mainly to the final wight and the fact that I have a toddler and a preschooler playing around.

0 Not allowed!
    You can set-up a tank like that which will look great for a period of time. After a few months to a year, cutting corners like he did will catch up with him and he will have some problems to deal with.

There's a ton of BS on you-tube. And I'm being very polite by calling it BS. Be careful if that is your only source of research.
    Last edited by Cliff; 06-05-2012 at 09:56 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    You can set-up a tank like that which will look great for a period of time. After a few months to a year, cutting corners like he did will catch up with him and he will have some problems to deal with.

There's a ton of BS on you-tube. And I'm being very polite by calling it BS. Be careful if that is you only source of research.
    I know that, and I have been reading a lot from various sources and forums.
    So your stance is that it can't be done in a 10 Gal tank? no way no how?
    To my understanding the live rock, live sand and skimmer will basically help filter most of the water in the tank, is that correct?
    Last edited by Evildude; 06-05-2012 at 10:02 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    It can be done, just not the way the guy in the video did it. Go back to you-tube in 8 months and see if he is still posting videos of it.

Don't buy live sand, it's crap. You do not want a deep sand bed for filtration in a ten gallon tank. It would be very difficult at best to maintain. Good flow and live rock won't help your biological filtration, it is your biological filtration. In a well balanced set-up, your live rock and flow is all you need. And a skimmer will go a long way to help you maintain your parameters over time. I would suggest reading the links I posted in my last response in your thread.

A 10 gallon tank will likely be 20X harder to keep for someone who is new to marine tanks than a experienced hobbyist, and at least 20X harder than a larger set-up for a new hobbyist. I have read what seams like countless stories of people starting off with marine tanks by getting a 10 gallon tank and within a year running into a lot of problems with water quality. I'm only trying to warn you of the potential problems that can come with such a small set-up. If a bigger set-up is out of the question for you, then at least you can now research the potential problems with such a small set-up and try to avoid these difficulties before. I'm not trying to talk you out of setting up a marine tank as I would love to see another successful "salty" on the forum.

You honestly can not cut corners without having to pay the piper latter on.

Awards Showcase

Here ya go. - Tigerbarb A little something for a friend!! - Patriot Thanks for being there! - NickFish have a gift - mitcore :D - harls_aussie 
    I hope your dwarf gourami gets better!!! - Blue Ram A little something for my troubles - Tigerbarb Here you go mate! - Tolley My gift, lol - Tigerbarb Another one of my gifts lol - Tigerbarb 
    happy birthday - digger MORE!!! - Tigerbarb thanks! - The Red Severum you have no frog lol - angelcakes the closest thing to a moorish idol :) - Tigerbarb 
    here you go :) - OscarFan Have an oscar bud! - Soxfan For you my homie - xximanoobxx Happy Holidays - travie Merry Christmas - KingFisher 

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff, I have to disagree.....maintaining such a small marine system is not at all hard, but it simply requires a diligent fish keeper.
    "Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway..."
    Elliott smith

20g nano reef
    55g FOWLR saltwater
    29g planted freshwater
    10g planted freshwater

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast