· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11 Cory Fry

1. Default 11 Cory Fry

0 Not allowed!
    I have just hatched (well not me...them) 11 Cory fry. I presume they are from my bronze Corys but they also could be Peppered. Last time I was successful in raising only one. I see from the primer that the best food is microworms. Nobody around here (Victoria, BC) has even heard of them. What is my best bet for feeding them? I have access to frozen baby brine shrimp, tiny pelleted "fry food", or frozen rotifers.

I have the fry in a breeding tank that hangs on the outside of the aquarium and features circulation of water from the main tank at a pretty good rate. I have also added an airstone set at low.

All advice is gratefully received.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    I have raised cory fry on crushed up normal-sized fish pellets (NLS spectrum to be specific). I've gotten some hikari first bites fry food since then and would probably use that if I raised any more fry.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Brhino!
    To be more specific, do you mean the wafers Spectrum puts out? I have quite a few of their pellet formulas so don't know which ones you mean.
    I have "Baby Bites" by HBH. It is called "fry fish food" so maybe similar to hikari.
    How long did you wait to start feeding? I plan on 24 hours, but correct me if I am wrong.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    It's "New Life Spectrum Thera-A". As for when to feed, when they're first hatched they're still attached to their egg sacs and they don't move around much. Once the egg sac is gone and they're moving, it's time for food.
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK, thanks. I have this food.

These fry have just hatched (over the course of several hours today) and tho they look like little balls with tails, they are scooting around like little demons. Must be a difference in species (if that is the correct word to use) within the Cory range.

I will wait for a bit to start feeding. And...sorry for so many questions...how many times a day did you feed?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    everyone says with fry, small meals multiple times per day are best. I've seen 5 times a day recommended. I couldn't manage that on a work day, so I would feed them three times a day - in the morning before work, right after I got home from work, and at night before I went to bed.

Make sure you take care of any uneaten food. I lost a spawning, I think because I left uneaten food around to foul the water.

0 Not allowed!
    You can order your worms from ebay. When I wanted microworms
    it seemed like nobody in calgary has ever heard of them too, so I got mine from the US. Now I have bucketfuls I don't know what to do with.
    Last edited by madagascariensis; 06-05-2012 at 12:57 AM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ohhh, so who do you feed them to when you don't have fry?

0 Not allowed!
    You can either let them die out or just maintain a small amount, maybe in a small culture,
    to have enough to restart whenever you need. Microworms aren't hard to care for, but then not everyone here on this forum has to be a complete fish breeding fanatic either. There are plenty of people who enjoy their fish without really worrying about breeding.

What I would do is order, get a huge amount of microworms, distribute them to as many other aquarists in your area as you can, and then you can just let your culture die off when you don't need it and just ask anytime for a small sample from someone else!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Brilliant! Have ordered, will share.