· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    A QT needs a cycled filter - like I suggested - get yourself a small filter (like an internal box type filter or a sponge filter good for at least 10gal) and run it in your maintank for at least 4 weeks (maybe faster if you put some media from your main filter into it to "seed" it with bacteria) - then you can transfer that filter to the QT for an instantly cycled tank!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome. I have 2 HOB filters on my currently cycling tank I don't have room for another. I'll wait a month for my AquaClear filter (just added 2 days ago) to be cycled before I start my 20 gallon. I'll add my AquaClear to the 20 and get another AquaClear so I still have two filters running on my current. Once I get my 20 going I'll have room for a 10 gallon filter on that to use on my QT tank once seeded. Confusing, but you gave me some great tips for sure!

Thanks!
    27 gallon Marineland cube freshwater:
    4 Cory Catfish
    10 Red Eye Tetras
    4 neon tetras
    1 Balloon Ram
    1 Bolivian Ram

15 gallon brackish:
    1 Figure 8 Puffer

0 Not allowed!
    I think I understand - once your newest filter is cycled and you put it on your new 20gal, you will have space to cycle a smaller filter for use in a QT - did I get it all right? LOL
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants

0 Not allowed!
    This is a good thing really. This simply means you are rapidity processing the ammonia in the tank. Spiking nitrites is exactly what it's supposed to do. That means you are darned near finished with that cycle. yahooooo

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    This is a good thing really. This simply means you are rapidity processing the ammonia in the tank. Spiking nitrites is exactly what it's supposed to do. That means you are darned near finished with that cycle. yahooooo

I hope I'm nearly finished. I get a chuckle from my wife every time I break out the Aqueon.

Tonights Readings:

PH: 7.4
    Amm: 0
    NitrItes: 5ppm
    NitrAtes: 20ppm

I did a 70% change and added some capfuls of API Quick Start to help with the high NitrItes.

I have a white film on the inside of the glass. It's been building the whole cycle. I wiped it clean once early in the cycle. Is it ok to scrape this stuff off when I do my next WC or is it beneficial to the cycle? It's kinda looking like a white haze on the aquarium. My tank isn't in direct sunlight but it defiantly gets some sun during the later part of the day when the sun is in the north. It's on this side where most of the film is located.
    4 Cory Catfish
    10 Red Eye Tetras
    4 neon tetras
    1 Balloon Ram
    1 Bolivian Ram

15 gallon brackish:
    1 Figure 8 Puffer

0 Not allowed!
    It is OK to scrape the stuff off - it has nothing to do with your filter getting cycled - its biofilm - I had it all over my tank too in the beginning.

I would make sure to change the water again to get those nitrites down - I would do 2 changes a day (large ones) so the fish aren't harmed by it.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cool, because it looks horrible.

Unfortunately I can't do 2 changes a day because I work shiftwork (5am-6pm). Doesn't give me much time. I'm off for a week after this Thursday so hopefully my fish can hold out with the high Nitrites until then and I can complete 2 changes per day.

Guess I could set the alarm 20 mins or so early tomorrow am and complete a change. Should I do another 70% in the am or just 50% since I'm doing 2 per day
    4 Cory Catfish
    10 Red Eye Tetras
    4 neon tetras
    1 Balloon Ram
    1 Bolivian Ram

15 gallon brackish:
    1 Figure 8 Puffer

0 Not allowed!
    I would personally make the effort to do the larger one - a 50% one will lower your nitrites to 2-3 which is still too high - 70% will give you a lower reading before the next large change. You are doing the best you can for the fish's sake - nice job - just wait until your nitrites go down to 0 - you will be thrilled!

Also, once that happens, keep an eye on the nitrates too!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK I took your advice. 5am and I just finished the 70% change & now off to work. I did check the NitrItes before I made the change and they were around 2ppm so hopefully it helped. Sadly I see 2 of my cories has a reddish head. Kinda like I can see through them and see their brain or something. Hopefully this Nitrate part of the cycle gets done soon and they recover. They are as active as the first day I bought them so hopefully that is a good sign. They just look a bit different. Could also be because I did this change at 4:30am and they are more translucent at night.
    4 Cory Catfish
    10 Red Eye Tetras
    4 neon tetras
    1 Balloon Ram
    1 Bolivian Ram

15 gallon brackish:
    1 Figure 8 Puffer

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here are some pics of the cory that has a bit of red on the gill:

and here is one of my 2 neons who has been through the cycle and hanging on:

4 Cory Catfish
    10 Red Eye Tetras
    4 neon tetras
    1 Balloon Ram
    1 Bolivian Ram

15 gallon brackish:
    1 Figure 8 Puffer