· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Cutting carbon (mechanical filter) out wont affect your cycle because most of the bacteria are in the biological filter.

Nitrites take longer to drop than ammonia, but when they do it's generally a fast drop.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    You are so close to being done with that cycle that I would not have messed with the filters at all. There's nothing in there that could not have remained for another week. Think of all those who don't change them for a year. lol

Once my filters got really grubby, I would cut a square of foam, pull out one cartridge and add foam in it's place. A month later, I would replace the other cartridge with another block of foam. Before long, all my hang on the backs only had foam and bio-max in them. I can't understand why these companies continue to sell filters with cartridges that need replacing other than their desire to keep getting our money.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have removed the cartridges as soon as I bought the filters and just added a block of foam to them to start with and plopped a bag of biomax on top.

(Actually no, I wouldn't have. I wouldn't have bought them to start with!!!!!!) LOLOL

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was afraid of cutting out the carbon but I've been noticing that my bio wheel wasn't turning as fast and my overflow slot was overflowing a lot. I've purchased more foam for the aquaclear I also having running in this aquarium. Once I have my tank cycling for a month I'll replace 1 of ther carbon media with a slice of the foam. I don't know how much $ I've spent on the carbon media a few years ago when I had my 46 gallon. At least $200/year.

Once I'm cycled I'm guessing I gradually add more fish and let the BB catch up and then add more if wanted. I've lost some neons because of my inexperience. I understand now that they should only be added to an established aquarium. I would like to add once I'm cycled. I currently have two still hanging in there and would like to up this school to 10.
    27 gallon Marineland cube freshwater:
    4 Cory Catfish
    10 Red Eye Tetras
    4 neon tetras
    1 Balloon Ram
    1 Bolivian Ram

15 gallon brackish:
    1 Figure 8 Puffer

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilash
    Once I'm cycled I'm guessing I gradually add more fish and let the BB catch up and then add more if wanted. I've lost some neons because of my inexperience. I understand now that they should only be added to an established aquarium. I would like to add once I'm cycled. I currently have two still hanging in there and would like to up this school to 10.
    Yup - lots of people lose fish due to inexperience and neons tend to be more sensitive to cycling.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So I got home and Damn!

PH: 7.4
    Amm: 0
    NitrItes: 5ppm (yikes)
    NitrAtes: 20ppm

I can't believe Ites went from 1ppm at 4am to 5ppm at 6pm. I felt like a bad parent. Did a 70% change tonight. My 6 Red Eyes seem more active today and my 4 cories are still hanging tough (notice slight red gills on 1 though). My 2 remaining neons are doing well also.
    4 Cory Catfish
    10 Red Eye Tetras
    4 neon tetras
    1 Balloon Ram
    1 Bolivian Ram

15 gallon brackish:
    1 Figure 8 Puffer

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Let the 70% change take effect and took readings before work this am:

PH: 7.4
    Amm: 0
    NitrIte: .5-1
    NitrAte: 10-20 ppm

Couldn't change water again this am in fear of waking my 2 year old up. I'll have to do another 70% I suspect when I get home tonight. Why are NitrItes so much harder to control than Amm. I did daily WC during my ammonia readings and they never went above 1ppm. Nitrites were up to 5ppm last night and after a large wc they are increasing at rapid rates.
    4 Cory Catfish
    10 Red Eye Tetras
    4 neon tetras
    1 Balloon Ram
    1 Bolivian Ram

15 gallon brackish:
    1 Figure 8 Puffer

0 Not allowed!
    The sooner you can change the water to bring down the nitrites the better - at least you are keeping on top of things! Looks like you've had your nitrite spike - now you can look forward to seeing nitrites falling to 0, keep nitrates at the level they are at now and you will be done!
    5 gal QT

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Andrea

I can't wait. Hopefully it will be done by this weekend. I would like to go a few days without a water change. I noticed a snail in my tank last night while doing the WC too. Pretty cool looking. I did put 1 real plant in my tank on day 1 and suspect he came from there even though I washed it pretty good. Hope I don't see more and more of them, but it is pretty cool to see one.

If I have 0 amm and 0 Nitrites for a few days and can say for sure I'm cycled I would like to get a school of neons going (maybe 10 or so). I currently have 2 that seem to be strong and surviving the cycle. How many should I add at first?
    4 Cory Catfish
    10 Red Eye Tetras
    4 neon tetras
    1 Balloon Ram
    1 Bolivian Ram

15 gallon brackish:
    1 Figure 8 Puffer

0 Not allowed!
    There may be some forum members who would add more because they are so small, but I would start by adding 5 at a time, then wait to check your parameters and then add another 5.

Do you have a small tank to quarantine new fish? That's pretty important - if a new fish or 2 are sick, you can treat only those new fish instead of risking getting your whole tank sick & having to spend $ treating your main tank.

I use a 5gal for that purpose - I run a small filter on my main tank & transfer it to the QT when I need it.
    5 gal QT

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    There may be some forum members who would add more because they are so small, but I would start by adding 5 at a time, then wait to check your parameters and then add another 5.

Do you have a small tank to quarantine new fish? That's pretty important - if a new fish or 2 are sick, you can treat only those new fish instead of risking getting your whole tank sick & having to spend $ treating your main tank.

I use a 5gal for that purpose - I run a small filter on my main tank & transfer it to the QT when I need it.

I did just get a 20 gallon. It's not set up yet but this weekend I will be starting a fishless cycle on it. I didn't want to use a tank that large as a QT tank. Maybe I will get a small 5 gal just for this. Does a QT tank need to be cycled before adding fish?
    4 Cory Catfish
    10 Red Eye Tetras
    4 neon tetras
    1 Balloon Ram
    1 Bolivian Ram

15 gallon brackish:
    1 Figure 8 Puffer