· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Couple of cycle questions

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all.

I'm taking everybody's advice here on the boards and it seems to be really helping me with my aquarium. From Lady Hobbs telling me my mistakes on which fish I had purchased (and returned) to others members helping me with filter questions.

I do have a few more questions.

As recommended I purchased a secondary filter (Aqua Clear 50) to go along with my Penguin 30 gallon bio wheel filter and just installed it last night. My question is about the carbon portion of the filter. Should I take this out and just replace it with another foam or bio max filter?

Another question is now that I'm in my 4th week my carbon filters in the penguin (I have 2 in two slots) are getting gunked up. I cut slits in both of these filters and shook the carbon out of both of them. Did I make a mistake? I noticed that my water was a bit cloudy after I did this but I was suspecting that was bits of algae on the filter inserts.

Last question is :

Current Readings:

7.4 PH
    0 Amm
    1ppm NitrItes
    20 ppm NitrAtes

I did a water change this am (about 25%). Should I maybe skip a day to let the NitrAtes have time to work? I've done water changes the last 6 days straight because Ammonia was hovering between .25-.5 and now that's it's at 0 I'm wondering if the water changes are halting the Nitrates from working.

Thanks all!!
    27 gallon Marineland cube freshwater:
    4 Cory Catfish
    10 Red Eye Tetras
    4 neon tetras
    1 Balloon Ram
    1 Bolivian Ram

15 gallon brackish:
    1 Figure 8 Puffer

0 Not allowed!
    I would replace the carbon with either a spong or some bio-max

If I remember correctly, you are cycling with fish. If that is the case then you really need to do one very large water change (around 75 to 80%) or two smaller ones (around 40 to 50%) to get the nitrites to a safe level for your fish.

If you are doing a fishless cycle, then do not change the water
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the reply. I'm currently doing a 50% change and I'll go pick up another foam after I'm done. I'm hoping my cycle is complete by the end of this week. I'm pretty excited for a day where I don't have to change the water.
    4 Cory Catfish
    10 Red Eye Tetras
    4 neon tetras
    1 Balloon Ram
    1 Bolivian Ram

15 gallon brackish:
    1 Figure 8 Puffer

0 Not allowed!
    Save that carbon tho. It will come in handy if you ever have to medicate the tank. Nice going with that cycle!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Does anybody think I messed up by cutting the carbon filters on the penguin? Both filters were only out for 3 minutes. I just sliced them with a razor and dumped the carbon out and placed them right back into the slots. I read to not disturb the filters but they were getting gunked up and that's why I cut the carbon out. I did have to tear a hole the size of a nickel in order to get all the carbon out.
    Last edited by Evilash; 06-03-2012 at 09:37 PM.
    4 Cory Catfish
    10 Red Eye Tetras
    4 neon tetras
    1 Balloon Ram
    1 Bolivian Ram

15 gallon brackish:
    1 Figure 8 Puffer

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It seems cutting a hole in my carbon filter inserts to get the carbon out didn't effect my cycle. My readings today are:

PH: 7.5
    Amm: 0
    NitrIte: .5-1
    NitrAte: 20ppm

I'll do a partial change when I get home tonight and hopefully those Nitrates drop soon. I read they seem to drop a lot faster than Ammonia.
    4 Cory Catfish
    10 Red Eye Tetras
    4 neon tetras
    1 Balloon Ram
    1 Bolivian Ram

15 gallon brackish:
    1 Figure 8 Puffer

0 Not allowed!
    You'll certainly need to do a waterchange to lower the nitrites. Letting them build up higher than 0.5ppm is NOT good for your fish.

I'm not to sure were you read nitrates drop fast than ammonia. Nitrates don't drop by themselves all. Live plants will use some nitrates, but the only way to get get your nitrates lowered is through waterchanges. Your nitrate levels at 20ppm are fine tho.

Edit: were you talking about nitrites dropping ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I was talking about NitrItes dropping. I thought NitrAtes took care of the NitrItes. I did take all your advice yesterday, Cliff, and Changed 50% twice yesterday. I did so last night and my readings were as follows after 1 hour of the change:

0 Amm
    .25 NitrItes
    20 ppm Nitrates

This AM I woke up at 4 and checked before I went off to work.

0 Amm
    .5 NitrItes
    20 ppm NitrAtes

I couldn't do a water change this am because it was 4 and didn't want to wake up the house. I work 12 hours shifts (shiftwork) so it's kinda hard when I'm on Days coming from Nights. I will be doing another 50% change tonight when I get home from work. I also took your advice and changed out my carbon filter for another foam in my AquaClear.
    4 Cory Catfish
    10 Red Eye Tetras
    4 neon tetras
    1 Balloon Ram
    1 Bolivian Ram

15 gallon brackish:
    1 Figure 8 Puffer

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilash
    Yes I was talking about NitrItes dropping. I thought NitrAtes took care of the NitrItes. I did take all your advice yesterday, Cliff, and Changed 50% twice yesterday. I did so last night and my readings were as follows after 1 hour of the change:

0 Amm
    .25 NitrItes
    20 ppm Nitrates

This AM I woke up at 4 and checked before I went off to work.

0 Amm
    .5 NitrItes
    20 ppm NitrAtes

Nitrates do not "take care" of nitrites - water changes take care of nitrates. If you're doing all these water changes then we know you are cycling with fish (that's correct?) and as Cliff mentioned, you should be keeping the nitrites down to .25 via water changes - eventually they will go down to 0 like the ammonia.

And the nitrates need to be kept down to no higher than 20ppm, again, via water changes.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilash
    It seems cutting a hole in my carbon filter inserts to get the carbon out didn't effect my cycle. My readings today are:

PH: 7.5
    Amm: 0
    NitrIte: .5-1
    NitrAte: 20ppm

I'll do a partial change when I get home tonight and hopefully those Nitrates drop soon. I read they seem to drop a lot faster than Ammonia.

Sorry, I meant NitrItes.
    4 Cory Catfish
    10 Red Eye Tetras
    4 neon tetras
    1 Balloon Ram
    1 Bolivian Ram

15 gallon brackish:
    1 Figure 8 Puffer