· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 20 gallon refugium setup? let me know what you think or would change

0 Not allowed!
    What do you think of my new refugium plan? I want to maximize my refugiom and biological filtration for my 20L sump. I don't have a skimmer now but think I want to get an external reef octopus skimmer in the future. (link below)

I'd have my drain line from my 72 gallon drilled bow front drain into a bunch of live rock. (I would drill holes into the drain line to disperse the water as it drains. I read this is the way to go) then have three baffles (only two shown) before it goes to the return pump. From the return pump I would have a tee with a ball valve to regulate flow to my refugium.

I think one day I plan to get an external skimmer and plumb my overflow directly to the skimmer and have the return from the skimmer go to where the live rock is.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...-skimmers.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GoWild; 06-03-2012 at 06:04 AM.
    72 gallon saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like your going for a refugium compartment in your sump

Your design would certainly work. Just keep in mind to leave enough room for the skimmer and to plan your flow rates to match the flow rate of your future skimmer. But I'm thinking a 20 gallon might be too small to do everything you want it to. You might want to think about a 30 or 40 gallon sump instead. The compartment(s) for you return pump and skimmer alone will likely take up almost all of the room in a 20 gallon tank

The below info should help as well

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...e-sump-basics/

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...umbing-basics/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I made a post that I wanted to use a reef octopus 6 for a potential in sump skimmer but then realized that they have a external reef octopus 4" recirculating skimmer that I could plumb my drain line to the skimmer and have return line from the skimmer go to the drain area of my sump(with the rocks.

The return pump would have a T with a ball valve to go to the refugium.

If I have it right, you need minimum flow in a refugium so I don't plan to have alot of overflow there.

I thought about creating a drain line from the refuge to the intake with the rocks but IDK if that is two elaborate or effective. (if I could drill glass and create the drainline)

The diagram doesn't have measurements but I was thinking 5" for rocks, 2" for baffles plus glass thickness. 6 inches for return pump and 2" for baffle from refuge. which would give me atleast 12" width for a refugium.

I think i want to make my refugium the "main" filtration for the tank. I,as of now, plan to be able to feed a mandarin goby on day.

Am I still on track??? or should I make changes. I'm not a sensitive individual so let me know what you think!
    72 gallon saltwater

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm reading the flowrate article now. and will ask questions if I have some.
    72 gallon saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    You will need about a one inch space between the baffles for good flow. I do not think a 5" space in a 20 gallon tank will hold enough rock to support the stock you could place in a 72 gallon tank.

In order to have really good water parameters, you would need a skimmer rated for around 120 gallons (minimum) and that will take anywheres from 6 to 10 inches of tank/sump space as well.

Once you add all of this together with the addition of the return pump compartment, you don't have enough room with a 20 gallon. Also, you have to remember to leave a fare amount of space for your return pump. It will be the lowest compartment in your sump so you must leave as much room as you can for it as that will be the compartment that will be effected by evaporation.

I'm sorry if I'm being a pain in the backside here. I just don't want to see you stuck with a set-up that will not function to support a healthy reef set-up
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No, you're right. The only problem I have is, that the dimensions of the 20L is the max width (30") I can fit under my tank with the 12" deep paramaters. I have a total height of 26" under my tank and could fit a 29GL but that would give me min. amount of working room (4" height) to get things in and out of the sump.

-UNDER MY tank at the shortest depth is 10" by about 46" wide, Should I build a sump with these dimensions? ( which would give me about 40GL with a 21" height
    - or should I keep a 20 or 29 gallon with an external skimmer and have a bigger refugium?

- just do a sump with an in sump skimmer and keep a minimal refugium?
    72 gallon saltwater

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    You will need about a one inch space between the baffles for good flow. I do not think a 5" space in a 20 gallon tank will hold enough rock to support a 72 gallon tank
    p
    Should I add more rock area and minimize the refugium size to create a good "natural balance" like 10" wide for rock and 10" for the refuge, less baffles and the return pump?
    72 gallon saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    If it was my tank, I would make the sump as big as I could get it. I would have at least one compartment for a skimmer, one for return pump, and one for a refugium / live rock compartment. The bigger you can make the live rock / refugium compartment, the better and more stable you can make your system. You could even have a forth compartment to act as a bubble trap for imcoming water or use a filter sock instead. I have done both but I have not made up my mind which approach I like better

IMO, I would not add just a refugium compartment with a deep sand bed like you see many people try. It does add to your weekly maintenance routine in order to maintain it long term. IMO, you can get just as much nitrate reduction from a lot of good quality rock and at least moderate flow.

Below are two examples from my two reef tanks. Thw first two are on my 90 gallon tank, and the last two are on my 120. Both are made from 55 gallon tanks, the largest size I could build a stand around