· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Post Dwarf Pleco Beginner Guide

0 Not allowed!
    L002-Panaque Sp. (Tiger Pleco) 3.9 inches 20 gallons up
    L015-Peckoktia vittata (Candy Striped Pleco) 3.9 inches 20 gallons up
    L034-Ancistrus ranunculus (Medusa Pleco) 5.1 inches 30 gallons up
    L046-Hypancistrus zebra (Zebra Pleco) 3.1 inches 20 gallons up
    L129-Hypancistrus debilittera (Columbian Zebra Pleco) 3.9 inches 20 gallon up
    L134-Peckoltia Compta (Leopard Frog Pleco) 4.4 inches 20 gallon up
    L144-Ancistrus sp. (Black eyed yellow bristlenose) 4.4 inches 20 gallon up
    L162-Panaque maccus (Clown Pleco) 4 inches 20 gallon up
    L169-Panaque sp. (Gold Stripe Panaque) 3.5 inches 20 gallon up
    L174-Ancistrus sp. (Panther Pleco) 2.5-3 inches 10 gallon up
    L183-Ancistrus dolichopterus (Starlight Bristlenose) 3.9 inches 20 gallon up
    L201-Hypancistrus sp. (Orinoco Angel Pleco) 3.9 inches 20 gallon up
    L226-Panaque changae (Iguitos tiger pleco) 4.7 inches 20 gallon up
    L260-Hypancistrus sp. (Scribble Pleco) 3.1-3.9 inches 20 gallon up
    L340-Hypancistrus sp. (Mega Clown Pleco) 3.1-3.9 inches 20 gallon up
    L400-Hypancistrus sp. (Belo Monte) 3.9- 4.7 inches 20 gallon up
    L401-Hypancistrus sp. (Yellow Zebra) 3.9 inches 20 gallon up
    L411-Hypancistrus sp. (Monte Dourado) 4.5 inches 20 gallon up
    LDA08-Ancistrus Claro (Marble Bristlenose) 4.2 inches 20 gallon up
    LDA25- Parotocinclus jumbo (Pitbull Pleco) 2 inches 10 gallon up
    Panaque need wood that is the majority of their diet. They still are omnivore so provide them with a balanced diet as well.
    Hypancistrus are omnivores but more prefer meatier foods.
    Ancistrus are omnivores and prefer a balanced diet.
    Peckoltia are omnivores and prefer a balanced diet.
    Parotoclus jumbo have to be in groups of 3 bare minimum.
    This is intended to help you get started. You still want to research there temperament and see if they prefer others of their own species or bottom dwellers. Also the food is generalized still look up what food you want to give them. I hope this helps. This is thanks to all the great folks on planetcatfish and plecoplant.
    10 Gallon Nano Tank

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is very helpful!! I never knew there were so many smaller plecos! And you even included the medusa pleco, my favorite!
    Research, research, research!
    ( I really should follow my own advice!)

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am glad it helped so many people think the bristlenose is the smallest. But common bristlenose is probably one of the biggest dwarfs maxing out at 6 inches even heard people say 7 inches
    10 Gallon Nano Tank

0 Not allowed!
    I think that just saying 20 gallon can be vague. The difference between a long and high is much, especially for a flat fish that really doesn't need much space vertically.
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks MLBFAN I will do that and put and updated list up.
    10 Gallon Nano Tank

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    L002-Panaque Sp. (Tiger Pleco) 4-5 inches 20 gallon long. To keep more than one specimen or bottom dweller a 40x16 is recommended.
    L015-Peckoktia vittata (Candy Striped Pleco) 3.9 inches 20 gallon long. To keep more than one specimen or bottom dweller 40x16 is recommened.
    L034-Ancistrus ranunculus (Medusa Pleco) 5.1 inches 20 gallon long. Very peaceful.
    L046-Hypancistrus zebra (Zebra Pleco) 3.1 inches 20 gallon high. Species only tank or with dither fish; will not compete for food. Prefers to be in groups.
    L129-Hypancistrus debilittera (Columbian Zebra Pleco) 3.9 inches 20 gallon long. Likes to be with its own species if there is room. To keep more than one specimen or bottom dweller 40x16 is recommended.
    L134-Peckoltia Compta (Leopard Frog Pleco) 4.4 inches 20 gallon high. Peaceful as long as it is provided a lot of hiding places.
    L144-Ancistrus sp. (Black eyed yellow bristlenose) 4.4 inches 20 gallon high. Needs hiding places to be with its own species.
    L162-Panaque maccus (Clown Pleco) 4 inches 20 gallon high. To keep more than one specimen or bottom dweller a 32x16 is recommended.
    L169-Panaque sp. (Gold Stripe Panaque) 3.5 inches 20 gallon high. L174-Ancistrus sp. (Panther Pleco) 2.5-3 inches 10 gallon
    L183-Ancistrus dolichopterus (Starlight Bristlenose) 3.9 inches 20 gallon high. Very aggressive with own species but not with other fish.
    L201-Hypancistrus sp. (Orinoco Angel Pleco) 3.9 inches 20 gallon high. Good for community tanks. It will most likely fight with its own species so caves are STRONGLY recommended.
    L226-Panaque changae (Iguitos tiger pleco) 4.7 inches 20 gallon high Very peaceful fish. If kept with other of it species you have to have a lot of hiding places.
    L260-Hypancistrus sp. (Scribble Pleco) 3.1-3.9 inches 20 gallon high. Very peaceful for community tanks.
    L340-Hypancistrus sp. (Mega Clown Pleco) 3.1-3.9 inches 20 gallon long. Peaceful unless in small spaces.
    L400-Hypancistrus sp. (Belo Monte) 3.9- 4.7 inches 20 gallon high. Peaceful but shy so you need caves.
    L401-Hypancistrus sp. (Yellow Zebra) 3.9 inches 20 gallon high. Peaceful community fish.
    L411-Hypancistrus sp. (Monte Dourado) 4.5 inches 20 gallon high. Peaceful community fish.
    LDA08-Ancistrus Claro (Marble Bristlenose) 4.2 inches 20 gallon high. Will occasionally fight with other Ancistrus if there are not enough hiding places.
    LDA25- Parotocinclus jumbo (Pitbull Pleco) 2 inches 10 gallon. Need 3 of species in same tank.
    Ancistrus cf cirrhosis(Common Bristlenose) 6 inches 20 gallon high. Needs large tank to be with other Ancistrus.
    Panaque need wood that is the majority of their diet. They still are omnivore so provide them with a balanced diet as well. They also produce large amounts of sawdust. That is why they need a bigger tank so it does not compromise wood-water quality.
    Hypancistrus are omnivores but more prefer meatier foods.
    Ancistrus are omnivores and prefer a balanced diet.
    Peckoltia are omnivores and prefer a balanced diet.
    Parotoclus jumbo have to be in groups of 3 bare minimum.
    This is intended to help you get started. Also the food is generalized still look up what food you want to give them. I hope this helps. This is thanks to all the great folks on planetcatfish and plecoplant.
    10 Gallon Nano Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, this will be a helpful list for people looking for a dwarf pleco in their tank. I awarded some rep to you.
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your welcome and thanks.
    10 Gallon Nano Tank

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't realize the black eyed yellow was a separate species.
    I also assumed all of these got to around 6 inches. So thanks for the info.

Do you have any idea what the current super red bristle nose variety is derived from?
    Mucky

Unusually I have nothing more to add...

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I believe it is from being selectively bred by the common bn but I will clarify that later today.
    10 Gallon Nano Tank