· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

Default 10 months now and not goin well

0 Not allowed!
    My tank is firmly in the "uglies" Its not a good time I can assure you as my trates are up in the 40s and the phos in only being held back by phosban. My lps are suffering bad,I have lost one lobe to my big open brain,a whole acan frag,fluor green trumpets and it looks like my green brain is on its way out. Keep in mind that the green brain ,acan and trumpet all looked good till 3 to 4 days before they went south. I can tell you all how I got to this point and it was a comedy of errors all the way..
    the whole mess started with a species only mantis tank in a 20gal
    the rock was ucured when bought and basically cured in use.
    the sand bed was too deep to start
    I used well water till just a few months ago
    when I transferred everything from 20 gal to present 58 I added even more sand to top of old dirty sand and even more uncured rock [was cycled though]
    didnt have a skimmer til past 3 months
    fed lots of liquid phyto for scallops and other filter feeders.[Big mistake the phyto] nothing but phosphate.
    I have too much improperly cured rock on top of a too deep sandbed which I cant clean properly.
    I am on verge of rehoming all lps stock just to save there lives and tearing down the rock and properly curing it.
    I dont have a rodi filter so I must get the stuff from a local grocer, Doing large multiple water changes a week is a major pain because of that and I dont have the bucks to spend on the filter.

What Im getting at here is not a big flurry of "Im so sorry this is happening to you bud" replys. I actually know what I have to do to fix this and Im putting this thread out there for prospective reef owners to read so it may stand as a warning to them.
    DO it right from the start!!!!!!!!!!
    1 start with completly cured rock
    2 thin or none for sandbed. Go bare bottom is best
    3 SKIMMER!!!!!!!
    4 proper flow,dont skimp on Powerheads
    5 LIGHTLY stock.
    6 feed lightly,NO PHYTO......it isnt needed ,,,,,,,use blender mush [google that]
    7 use RODI and buy your own filter
    8 if money is an issue then DONT GET INTO REEFING

that is all

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It is stories such as yours that makes me leery of getting into marine aquariums. The more I read and see, it seems like the dominoes can fall and fall very quickly with a marine aquarium, especially a reef tank. I think I will stick with my freshwater fish for the foreseeable future. I do hope you can get it turned around and everybody healthy.

P.S. I am so sorry to here that. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's my favorite! And apprently your first fish LOL! - homemadepopcorn   Grapes are best when shared :-D - 850R   Guessed correct Avatar! - BigPoppa   Nice guess, you know your fins! - FinalJenemba   Don't forget to QT this one as well, Good call with the QT tank - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    And this is why I shall never put any salt in my aquarium.
    Other than perhaps curing ich.
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas - KingFisher   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thanks! - pRED   

0 Not allowed!
    Another reason to love Freshwater even more. Marine for me has far too much hassle and carries a lot more risk. Not to mention the expense for just getting started!!!
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   Can't give you an award, but have a gift while you are waiting : ) - Little Embers   In memorium to your little angelfish - mermaidwannabe   A bouquet to brighten your day! - kurly   In memory of your loss. - Strider199   

0 Not allowed!
    You seem a bit stressed there Smaug...

One of the reasons I've stuck with freshwater is because of all the stories like yours put me off trying to do salt.
    ~Col~

4 ft 60g FW: 2 angels, 4 blind cave, 1 whiteskirt, 4 gold widows, 6 serpaes, 1 neonhead apisto, 4 clown loaches, 4 albino cory, 2 bronze corys & 3 BN plecos.
    23g FW: 1 neonhead apisto, 1 yoyo, 2 albino BN plecos & 4 pepper cory
    5.5g: Crowntail Betta, 6 black Khuli's & RCS
    5 g: Crowntail Betta, 1 albino cory (Quasi), 4 baby khuli's & RCS
    7 g: Dragontail Betta & 2 albino cory
    3ft Axi tank: 1 black, 1 gold - 1 redcap oranda & 2 albino cory

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It doesn't have to be this way. If its done correctly from the start then most of these issues can be avoided. A fw tank can be thrown together and kept in a very haphazard way and once the owner gets the point or the notion to do it right it is as simple as that. If a marine tank doesn't have its foundation properly done it is extremely difficult to avoid a crash by simply doing better water maintance. This ship will not sink,ill fix it but it won't be cheap or ez. That is why I cringe when I hear a poster state they want to get started with sw but money is tight,or don't qt,don't use rodi or stock inapropriatly with coral or fish. It will not go well for long and when it starts goin bad you will not have time to clean it up.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    Make a DIY fuge out of a large HOB(AC110 works best) run it reverse daylight with nothing but cheato...in time it will act as an algae scrubber as well. You would be impressed at how well these things control nitrate. I would suck some of that sand out...sand is nothing but a nasty sponge of harboring waste.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Excellent car advice...and other advice too! - Rue   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rmiller   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - rmiller   

0 Not allowed!
    Still want a fowlr tank someday. For sure will do it right from day one, but first the mainstream fairy needs ro pay me a big visits. Guess its time to play the lotto
    Someday, when I have all the fish tanks I want, I hope to be featured on an episode of animal hoarders.

Received some great advice? Be sure to show your appreciation by giving rep points! Click the scale on the upper right of that wonderful post and tell someone

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Beautiful tank! - gabbyguppy   I love that show - Pele   Thanks for the nomination, and recognizing fine art when you see it  :-) - Cliff   I give these to friends only. - smaug   For my comments on your betta, but no way was I buying you one, even on AC ;-P - ScottishFish   

0 Not allowed!
    Ouch that's a pain. My dads reef tank grenaded when he went from buying RO water to using our well water, which works great for freshwater tanks, its amazing how the smallest changes can turn a reef tank. I don't think ill ever do a reef, maybe a fowlr one day for a Mantis buts that's it. Hows your Mantis doing btw?

Im sending you beer, you need one
    Last edited by FinalJenemba; 06-02-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The mantis doin great,I could keep him in toilet water if I were so inclined

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast