· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your kind words - Cliff   This is for your scrubber - chrisfraser05   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by smaug
    That is why I cringe when I hear a poster state they want to get started with sw but money is tight,or don't qt,don't use rodi or stock inapropriatly with coral or fish. It will not go well for long and when it starts goin bad you will not have time to clean it up.
    I MADE THAT SAME POST a few weeks ago but for the price I was looking to add HOB equipment and more rock for my 55GL I found a guy who had a bigger tank 72gl bow front that was DRILLED with sump for a lil more.

It's hard for me, a freshwater guy to go so slow when it comes to adding anything to my new SW tank(ALMOST BORING), I barely have anything in it now, but hope that in a yr or more I can get a nice ESTABLISHED TANK that will thrive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for your loss OP This hobby isnt cheap espessially when you start to take losses for your livestock.

HOPE YOU CAN RECOVER AND learn from the mistakes

I must add that I do go to rainbow and pay 39 cents gallon, now a LFS for 29 cents a GL. for RO water. YOU WILL HEAR NOTHING BUT BAD THINGS WITH ANYTHING BUT RO WATER AND IF YOU ARE GOING THROUGH THE EXPENSE OF EVERYTHING ELSE IE SALT, TEST KITS, $50 FISH AND CORAL AND SPEND $10 A LB FOR LIVE ROCK,ETC THEN YOU SHOULD NOT USE TAP WATER WITH ADDITIVES (FYI FOR ANYONE LOOKING TO START)
    Last edited by GoWild; 06-03-2012 at 07:52 AM.
    72 gallon saltwater

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    How's the tank going now?
    72 gallon saltwater

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    It seems to have stabilized. The trumpet coral and the green acan didn't make it. The open brain isn't perfect but looks a bit better. I have the rest of my thoughts on this in my blog.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here ya go. - Tigerbarb   A little something for a friend!! - Patriot   Thanks for being there! - NickFish   have a gift - mitcore   :D - harls_aussie   

0 Not allowed!
    Saltwater is never worth it unless one is willing to do 100% of it correctly. I only recently invested in a protein skimmer myself, and I can tell any new hobbyist that he or she will NEVER regret paying for such helpful mechanical filtration. I also had to learn the hard way that laziness has no place in the hobby. Slacking off on maintenance is simply not an option. But on the other hand, if all the work is considered a chore, than the fishkeeper is doing it wrong. Maintenance should be enjoyed as one of life's pleasures.
    "Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway..."
    Elliott smith

20g nano reef
    55g FOWLR saltwater
    29g planted freshwater
    10g planted freshwater

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbarb
    Saltwater is never worth it unless one is willing to do 100% of it correctly. I only recently invested in a protein skimmer myself, and I can tell any new hobbyist that he or she will NEVER regret paying for such helpful mechanical filtration. I also had to learn the hard way that laziness has no place in the hobby. Slacking off on maintenance is simply not an option. But on the other hand, if all the work is considered a chore, than the fishkeeper is doing it wrong. Maintenance should be enjoyed as one of life's pleasures.
    That's just it TB. I havnt slacked on the physical part of reef keeping maintance. I don't mind the wc and testing or any of the rest of the work needed to be done. If I'm guilty of anything it was believing those that led me to think certain things weren't that criticle. Many claim no need for a skimmer or rodi with 0 tds,many talk about dsb and cycled rock being ok still. Its a tough hobby this reef business that's for sure. Its also. Very expensive one and no one should be lead to believe they can get away with starting out on the cheap with unspecific equipment.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here ya go. - Tigerbarb   A little something for a friend!! - Patriot   Thanks for being there! - NickFish   have a gift - mitcore   :D - harls_aussie   

0 Not allowed!
    My apologies smaug, I was not at all trying to insult you. :/
    It's definitely a huge commitment with no turning back. When I was getting into the hobby, a clerk at my lfs told me that bad advice was the #1 cause of failure. Makes me wish that passing a certain exam were required before anyone could legally provide advice.
    "Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway..."
    Elliott smith

20g nano reef
    55g FOWLR saltwater
    29g planted freshwater
    10g planted freshwater

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   To help you sleep... - Rue   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   My turn to buy - fishmommie   Right back at'cha! - KevinVA   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Surfdog   Autism - Surfdog   

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    The mantis doin great,I could keep him in toilet water if I were so inclined
    LOL, sounds like my Eels. So sorry your having issues. I am curious on how often you did water changes? I do my reef 20% every 5 days, easy with the setup have. I add Phyto very sparingly, 1/2 a cap twice weekly as well as the Tropic Marin. No mechanical filtration whatsoever (sponges, pads etc) and I have a healthy thriving tank. The rock was cured but never "live" wet, out of a box. I did move rock from my Eel tank to cycle the reef and then returned much of it to the eels. It's my understanding that with the amount of water I change, I really don't need to add anything but I now have scallops? growing in the tank. I believe they came from the free live rock scraps I got from my LFS that I use in place of the sponges that were in the filtering bays in my cube, its also loaded with Cheto. I am glad your tank is stabalizing and I have taken note of all the don't(s) you posted.
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid (John Wayne)
    If you're not angry, you are not paying attention (Ralph Nader)
    9 Tanks (2-29G QT) ranging from 150G to 10G for my 1/2 moon Beta
    https://youtu.be/avRN9X77jD4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog
    LOL, sounds like my Eels. So sorry your having issues. I am curious on how often you did water changes? I do my reef 20% every 5 days, easy with the setup have. I add Phyto very sparingly, 1/2 a cap twice weekly as well as the Tropic Marin. No mechanical filtration whatsoever (sponges, pads etc) and I have a healthy thriving tank. The rock was cured but never "live" wet, out of a box. I did move rock from my Eel tank to cycle the reef and then returned much of it to the eels. It's my understanding that with the amount of water I change, I really don't need to add anything but I now have scallops? growing in the tank. I believe they came from the free live rock scraps I got from my LFS that I use in place of the sponges that were in the filtering bays in my cube, its also loaded with Cheto. I am glad your tank is stabalizing and I have taken note of all the don't(s) you posted.
    My usual wc was at least 20% weekly since day one. With the usual [forgot to do its] once a month. Lately they have been 30% weekly. I have just the skimmer with a bag of chemipure elite in the media box. I am certain that most of my trouble comes from the original dsb and the cycled but uncured rock. Fwiw,things look pretty good right now.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Very expensive one and no one should be lead to believe they can get away with starting out on the cheap with unspecific equipment.
    I think of cliff when you say this cause he was the man that steered me in the right direction and he is the first to post on newbies coming here, asking if I could start a nano or any sw for the first time with lil or no funds or knowledge. Good man that cliff
    72 gallon saltwater

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12