· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Decision

Default My Decision

0 Not allowed!
    Okay everyone. I think I have finally decided how to stock my 55 gallon after having considered everyone's advice.

I'm going to go with:

6 Albino Corys
    10 Neon Tetras
    10 (different tetra)
    10 (different tetra)
    2 Dward Gouramis

I know, I know two Gouramis COULD be bad, but as you all said if there were a pair that would work it would be the Dwarf right?

So now that you know I'm going to try that, would it be better to get a male and a female? If it doesn't make a difference I will most likely go for two more colorful males.

Also, any suggestions on the tetras? Or perhaps a different species that is small, schools, is colorful, and goes with the rest? I know tetras really aren't all that colorful, but I like them, lol.

Just so you all know, I have pretty much given up the thought of adding an angel into this mix. I'm still working on getting my husband to go along with that ( he really wanted them). I keep telling him there is no point in buying them if I'm going to lose them or other fish.

Let me know guys!
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    I personally find albino cories extremely dull and boring, there are loads of better ones, sterba, peppered, regular bronze, schwartzi. Also with a 55G make their school 10 and they will really appreciate that.

Your neons may get lost in there, feel threatend and hide, so either get 20 or scrap them. I think 2 larger schools would look much better.

Other tetras I'd reccomend would be serpae, red eyed, silvertip and bleeding heart. A school of 15 of any one of those is great looking.

You said it yourself 2 gouramis aint gona work, your tank, your gamble I've been there done that and watched the mayhem that multiple gouramis can stir up.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    Do you think mixing cory's would be okay? If I got two different kinds would they school together? 10 sounds good for them, I just don't want to end up needing to get two schools if I get two different kinds.

I was also thinking that I could go 20 of just the two schools of tetras.

Neons for sure, and then another school.

As for the Gouramis I really want them because of their size, and color. I wouldn't mind getting just one of a larger breed, but I'm afraid that they will eat my tetras if I don't get Dwarf.

Will the male and female thing make a difference or no?

I am hoping the fact that this is a large tank, with plenty of room that they would be able to have their own territories.

Okay, so that brings me to this:

10 corys
    20 neons
    20 (different tetra)
    2 Dwarf Gourami

I wouldn't mind a critter or two, but I haven't done much research on them. Thinking about assassin snails, but not sure.
    Last edited by MandyK; 06-01-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Corys will sometimes school even though they're not the same genus. But, it is always better to have the same instead of mix and match.

Do not, please, put 2 gouramis in that tank. Unless you can buy an "established pair" already then go ahead. If not, then the male will harass the female. Even with both females, one will harass the other for dominance.

I will just put 50 neons in that tank, then your cories and a dwarf gourami. Will not put neons with anything larger than them because they will just hide.

IMO, 55G isn't a large tank for 2 gouramis to settle.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    If you got 2 species but 5 of each would probs work. I have found bronze and peppered kinda go well together.

20 neons is a lot better, if you find they still hide then get another 10, their bioload is tiny.

I think you should look at silvertip tetras or rummy noses, both are more peacefull and have tiny bioloads aswell. There is however still a chance that your neons will still be freaked out by them.

I really advise you not to go for 2 gouramis, they don't pair up the same as cichlids, really the only way for multiple gouramis to successfully work would be for you to have 4 females, 1 male in a 80g tank planted like a jungle.

I agree with pauls stocking advice.

20-50 neons
    maybe another school of 20 tetras
    1 Gourami
    10 corys

Other options you could look at could be khuli loaches, smaller plecos like bristlenoses, african dwarf frog.

0 Not allowed!
    Ya know, I like that idea... I can handle one gourami I think, and I really don't want anything bad going on in there. I think I like it guys. Now to get the husband to like it. :) Thanks guys!!! I can live with that arrangement, and hopefully the fish can to. I'll try to keep everyone updated!!! The tank is getting close to being cycled now.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Fingers crossed for it to cycle pretty quick for you

Trust us 1 gourami is your best bet, you will get more attatched to it and you won't have the worry of them beating the crap out eachother.

0 Not allowed!
    I like the loaches! And they would go good in that set up? How many do you think? The husband is now mad about the gouramis. He says we are just going to have a tank of plain looking minnows. Uhg....

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Khulis in a 55g, around 10-15 would be no bother

If you had to not have neons you could have some barbs. Instead of gouramis you could get something like german blue rams, or other cichlids like firemouths. You could also keep an angel with them aswell.

but then thats totally rejigging your stocking. Maybe your husband would prefer that??

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I keep neons with rummynose tetras and they get along great and dont hide. I too have 55 gallon. Check out emperor tetras and black/white skirt tetras too - always liked how they look.

I got hatchets recently and really like them a lot! They hang out at top level.

Never kept khuli loaches but from what I understand, they are a lot of fun to watch. They do hide but if you get like 8-12, they will feel safe and come out to play in the plants and bubbles

If you go with GBR or other fish that like 80+ water, go with cardinals instead of neons (very similar but handle higher temp better)

Plecos are really cool and so many types available. The "L series" are expensive but you could find any color or pattern you want so long as they are available in fish store.

Good luck!
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps