· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Cyanobacteria, will this get rid of it?

0 Not allowed!
    We had a really bad blue green algae (cyanobacteria) outbreak in our tropical 20 gallon tank. We took all the decor effected and trashed the couple plants that had it as well, then transferred our pea puffer to a 5 gallon using 4 gallons new water (treated with prime) and 1 gallon of water from his tank (Normally I would think a 75% water change is TOO much, and it probably is, but I kind of freaked out when discovering that it is a toxic bacteria, but we've now got the 20 gallon filter running through 5 gallons of water so I figured running that much water through the established media would mitigate any issues with the extreme percentage and speed the cycling process...? correct me if I'm wrong)

I know about trying the blackout, excess lighting, erythromycine, hyrdo syringe, etc. but we are completely breaking down the 20 gallon and starting over and I want to know if it's OK to thoroughly rinse off the decor, washing all the bacteria off, then leave it out of the tank for a day to hopefully kill the bacteria? I'm no scientist but I read oxygen will help kill the bacteria, am I rediculous to think the oxygen in the air (leaving it out of the tank) is enough to finish it off after washing the decor or will it just come back if I decide to use the same decor when I set the tank back up?

Sorry this is kinda long, thanks for taking the time!

0 Not allowed!
    75% water changes arent really too much. I often change that much water on a weekly basis.

As for the cyanobacteria, a good soaking in peroxide will do the trick.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok cool. Yea, peroxide is what I meant by "hydro syringe" ... I'm dumb :)
    So I can just let them sit in peroxide. Should it be pure peroxide or can I do a mixture with water? How long do you think it'll take to be sure it's all dead?

Thanks!!

0 Not allowed!
    Well peroxide loses its efficacy within a few minutes of coming into contact with organic material and light, so 10-15 minutes will suffice. Any 3-5% drugstore solution should work.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    Just an aside. I had a huge outbreak of cyano bacteria in my 20 gallon about six months ago. Completely cured it by adding in four male guppies. I had no idea they would, they were from my nephew so I just put them in, but they ate and pecked away every last bit of it!
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tiara, that's interesting to hear guppies will eat the bacteria... I would consider that if we didn't have a pea puffer who would have a field day with their fins!

0 Not allowed!
    Cyano is a bacteria so not too sure if the fish eating it was a good thing.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Black Molly will sort your problem with cyano!