· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Lacy brown holes in leaves?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there - I'm new to this forum so apologies if Ive not seen an obvious place where my question has already been answered -

I'm a true beginner to plants since I have quite a few live plants in my tank but I dont know what most of them are.

My problem is this. Some of my plants - what I think is a java fern, and another plant (with oval leaves, purple at the bottom and silver green on top), have recently been developing holes that start off as small lacy holes and quickly get bigger until the leaf turns brown and then shrivels completely. The holes start in the middle of the leaves, not around the edges.

I did a search and could not find anything obvious so I just removed all the leaves that showed damage and for a while things looked good, but now it is happening again.

I have a small freshwater aquarium - about 30 liters (8 gallons?) with a light that is supposed to be for aquarium plants - that I recently replaced so it's brand new. A fluval sponge filter. The tank has been pretty stable for about four years with no problems.

I dont think it is caused by any of the fish. I have an Angel, some Silver Tips, some Black Nuns, some Bronze Catfish, a small brown loach, and a tiny algea eater - a plec? who hardly ever disturbs the leaves. No snails that I can see.

I've tested the water for Ammonia and the test comes up perfectly clear - and I do a regular water change every week to replace about 1/4 of the water.

Any ideas what could cause this?

I'll try to get a photo of the damage in case that helps - let me post this in the mean time.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here is a picture (hope it works!):

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Usually the case of having brown holes on leaves is due to the lack of potassium. I have never seen an aquatic plant with leaves like the one in your photo so from what I think it may not be aquatic but dont quote me on that since me not seeing one doesn't mean it doesn't exsist. Also, a reason for leaves rotting totally can be because its acclimating to your water condition most noteable plants like crypts. I would give them some time to settle in. As long as there is new growth things should turn out to be fine.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Now that you mention it, it doesnt look much like an aquatic plant, does it!

But it's having the exact same problems as the Java Fern which is certainly an aquatic plant. But maybe that's just a coincidence?

I bought it recently at a petshop - it is a new plant.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 on lack of potassium. usually you should see lots of smaller holes though, so I'll wait for the plant experts to chime in on this one.
    Thar she blows!!!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Java fern is usually a mega hard to kill plant like I said it could be getting used to a new tank because your water parameters may differ from the pet store. But im interested what kind of pleco do you have because there are some that will snack on some plants but most fish wont touch java ferns due to their supposidly bitter taste to fish.

0 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=klip]I have a small freshwater aquarium - about 30 liters (8 gallons?) with a light that is supposed to be for aquarium plants - that I recently replaced so it's brand new. A fluval sponge filter. The tank has been pretty stable for about four years with no problems.

I dont think it is caused by any of the fish. I have an Angel, some Silver Tips, some Black Nuns, some Bronze Catfish, a small brown loach, and a tiny algea eater - a plec? who hardly ever disturbs the leaves. No snails that I can see.

I've tested the water for Ammonia and the test comes up perfectly clear - and I do a regular water change every week to replace about 1/4 of the water.

Any ideas what could cause this?

I apologize I am not posting to respond to your plant dilemma but I was quite surprised to see how many fish you have in such a small tank - I hope you realize that your stocking for this tank is not appropriate at all (it's been going 4 yrs?) and I would worry more about that than your plants - and no ammonia reading (meaning your reading is 0??) - is that what you meant by "clear"?

Did I miss something?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    I apologize I am not posting to respond to your plant dilemma but I was quite surprised to see how many fish you have in such a small tank - I hope you realize that your stocking for this tank is not appropriate at all (it's been going 4 yrs?) and I would worry more about that than your plants - and no ammonia reading (meaning your reading is 0??) - is that what you meant by "clear"?

Did I miss something?
    Yes, I do have many fish for the size of the tank. Ten fish. Most of them are very small though (if that makes a difference?) , and I've got two sponge filters. I do a water change every week and I've not had any problems so far - unless this thing with the plants could be as a result of that? Yes, the ammonia reading is 0, taken at the end of a week just before a water change.

I dont have any problems with algae, my fish are not dying, and the tank has been stable for 4 years.

I know it is not ideal and hope to get a larger tank soon.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Damn lol I missed your stocking list and sized tank. It is indeed very small if you had the tank and the same stocking list and the fish are not dead since then the likely hood is that you have stunt them which is very bad for the fish I keep angelfish as the main fish for my tank which is 50 gallons containing 3 angels and really they must have a tall tank for their fins to grow etc. I am dead suprised that the ammonia level is at zero with that stocking list especially with the pleco as its basicly a pooing machine.

Again it would be nice also if you have a pic of that pleco as it could be a cause to why the leaves are damaged since some plecos would feast on plants.

0 Not allowed!
    Please include a full tank pic also. We like to have both the big picture and the details.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.