· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: leaky sump

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by labnjab
    Its a glass sump and it was free. Once I take the baffles out I'm tossing it in the trash lol. We are picking up the new one tomorrow

We must have super man aiptasia, I've tried everything to kill them over the last 2 years and they just come back stronger. I've tried kalk paste, joes juice, aiptasia destroyer, aiptasia x, a home made mixture of kalkwasser and 100% lye. Peppermints work in our frag tank and sump but get eaten but something in the display (either our hawkfish or coral banded shrimp, or both) and wasted $100 on berghai nudibranches. We also tried the aiptasia zapper, but it just cant get down deep enough in the rocks.

We were going to get a copper banded butterfly but our lfs can't get one healthy enough to survive their 4-6 week qt period (thankfully they qt them and don't charge me until its done qt). So now we've come to the filefish. Its almost guaranteed to kill them all in a month, and if it nips a few coral I won't really care because the aiptasia will be gone, lol, and once their gone I can always rehome the filefish. Our lfs should be able to get one in a few weeks.
    Talk about "survival of the fittest" I wish you the best of luck of getting rid of it.

Wish I had a solution for ya that was not extreme/drastic! Best of luck!
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you :)

We picked up the sump earlier tonight. Right now i have it filled with water checking for leaks and so far its looking good. If its still leak free tomorrow morning, then the baffles will be installed tomorrow night and the sump should be running Sunday afternoon. In the meantime I need to get some ambition and clean out the skimmer and return pump and I need to install and calibrate the new ph probe for the calcium reactor while its not being used

So far the tanks are looking good despite having no skimmer or calcium reactor. The only casuality was a mexican turbo that I found while taking the baffles out of the old sump. He was stuck between the skimmer and a baffle.

I havent been topping off and the salinity is almost back to normal. The ato dumped 3 gallons of fresh water in the system the night of the leak and dropped the sg down to 1.022. Now its back up to 1.024.

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

0 Not allowed!
    It looks like the sump holds water so I will be installing the baffles tonight.

I found 1 more problem. I didn't even think to put an airstone in the overflow box when we shut the sump down and now it smells like low tide because the feather dusters and what ever else was living in it has died. I can get the water out easy enough but there no way I can get all the dead feather dusters and other stuff out of it. I just can't get my hand in it. If I just run carbon and skim wet for a few days, do you think it will be alright? The system has well over 100 gallons,

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    The overflow problem is taken care of. I didn't get it all out, but we did get a good majority of it out. It smelled horrible too, lol. I used the python to drain it and suck what I could out, then filled it with high pressure to loosen everything up, then sucked it back out and repeated this process a dozen times. I'll just run carbon and skim a little heavy for a few days and it should be fine

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    The new sump is up and running We got it going last night. I ran into a snag over the weekend because the baffles from the leaky sump wouldn't fit in the new sump for some reason, even though their the same dimensions, so I had to get them trimmed Monday. Everything went good and the only causality was a Mexican turbo and a bunch of feather dusters. The skimmer is going nuts though, lol

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12