· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leaky sump

Default leaky sump

0 Not allowed!
    Woke up this morning to an empty ato resivoir (just topped off night b4) and a soaked carpet. The seam on our recently added sump decided to start leaking overnight. So instead of getting a new sump, were gonna downsize to a 40 breeder. Im already discouraged with the tank as it is due to the aiptasia infestation so this was the iceing on the cake. We are selling all the live rock, but keeping most of the coral, most of the fish and clams and all equipment.

We have 20-25 lbs of aiptasia free rock in our sump and frag tank so we just need to buy 25 lbs or so of dry rock for the 40 breeder. We will still keep the frag tank and it will be tied into whatever sump we put under the 40 b. We will be able to keep the 2 mp40s in the 40 (dialed way down) as well as our calcium reactor and skimmer. The lighting will be the 2 led fixtures over the 75 now. I'll also be dosing pods every few weeks so we can keep our mandarin

Now if I can just get the rock sold soon. Its been a lousy day lol
    Last edited by labnjab; 05-29-2012 at 10:05 PM.

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about your sump.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks cliff. well i guess jumped the gun on this one. On top of the sump i also had a bad day at work so weve been talking and decided to keep it. I found a sump with identicle dimensions for $50 on craigslist.

How long can we go without a skimmer? The tanks been running 2 and a half years. We arent getting the replacement till Thursday and Im gonna need a few days to put the baffles in and make sure it doesnt leak, plus I need to let the carpet dry a few days

I put all the rock that was in the sump and half the water in a 10 gallon with a heater and an evo750 so it should b good for a while and we shouldnt loose much of our pod population. The frag tank only has 8ish lbs of rock, but only one small clown so it should be ok for a while too. Im just had to stick a heater in it since its water was heated through the sump. Im just not going to be able to run our calcium reactor till we get a sump back online.
    Last edited by labnjab; 05-30-2012 at 04:11 AM.

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    And one more thing. To combat the aiptasia weve decided to take drastic messures and get a matted filefish. Its hardy and it has a very good chance of eating them. It also has a chance of eating coral, but the aiptasia are doing plenty of damage to coral now so im willing to take the risk to get of rid this infestation for good. Luckily most cases of them eating coral are mostly softies and not stonies, and we can stand to loose a few dozen heads of xenia

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    good luck with the filefish!
    40g SW

0 Not allowed!
    I once went a week without a working skimmer. I just did a few extra 5% water changes and I did not see anything change in my parameters. The only thing I would be worried about is a drop in O2 levels from the skimmer not running. You could just run a bubbler tho to compensate for that.

Sorry that had such a bad day.

Your tanks should be fine
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Bad days always suck sorry to hear it. I've been without a skimmer for 4 months, granted my tank isn't in pristine condition and I do admit I need one lol but you should be fine for a week or two just keep an eye on the params and you'll be fine
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Lucky o2 levels won't drop, I have water levels down a few inches below the overflows to keep it from going into the overflow and onto the floor when I have to put my hand in the tank, and the mp 10 in the frag tank and 2 mp40's in the display keep the surface churned up really well. There's a good inch and a half chop going on in the 75 when the mp40's kick up to full power, lol.

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about the sump... I have had that happen years ago.

If the sump is acrylic they are easy to fix. Some weld on 16 will be able fix that. Does not cost much either.

I would also get some red sea aiptasia x with your filefish.

I had a major outbreak of aiptasia and won the battle so far. I contribute it to aiptasia x, filefish and almost perfect water quality (ca, mg, kh, nitrates, nitrites, nh3)

Best of luck!
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

0 Not allowed!
    Its a glass sump and it was free. Once I take the baffles out I'm tossing it in the trash lol. We are picking up the new one tomorrow

We must have super man aiptasia, I've tried everything to kill them over the last 2 years and they just come back stronger. I've tried kalk paste, joes juice, aiptasia destroyer, aiptasia x, a home made mixture of kalkwasser and 100% lye. Peppermints work in our frag tank and sump but get eaten but something in the display (either our hawkfish or coral banded shrimp, or both) and wasted $100 on berghai nudibranches. We also tried the aiptasia zapper, but it just cant get down deep enough in the rocks.

We were going to get a copper banded butterfly but our lfs can't get one healthy enough to survive their 4-6 week qt period (thankfully they qt them and don't charge me until its done qt). So now we've come to the filefish. Its almost guaranteed to kill them all in a month, and if it nips a few coral I won't really care because the aiptasia will be gone, lol, and once their gone I can always rehome the filefish. Our lfs should be able to get one in a few weeks.

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast