· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Fluval 404 - Starts only after opened & spray bar/skimmer questions

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

My Fluval 404 will run consistently, but if it gets unplugged/power goes out, it needs to be opened up, the lid put back on, and re-pump primed before it will start up again. Any ideas?

Also, on separate notes, has anyone used a spraybar on this filter that was commercially bought (ie, not DIY!)? Anyone have any experience with the surface skimmer? How does it work and is it effective (and more so than using the standard intake)?

Thanks! Just curious of my options with this filter. I am using it mainly for bio filtration with sponges and bio-max. I have my original canister filter with lots more sponges and carbon.
    55 gallon planted - Fish & Shrimp - Pair of Gold Rams, albino bristlenose plecos, school of neon tetras, school of praecox dwarf neon rainbowfish, australe orange killifish, yellow kimono killifish, amano shrimp, bamboo shrimp, and a cherry shrimp colony. Plants - Dwarf baby tears, vals, guppy grass, moss, narrow-leafed java fern, amazon swords, anubias, and crypts

0 Not allowed!
    Many filters won't restart properly after a power outage. Gunk builds up on the impeller and settles during the down time. All you can do is make sure you clean the impeller and shaft every time you do a filter cleaning.

I use the spray bars that come with filters. I'm happy with them. I have some of the same model, purchase used, that don't have spray bars. I'm happy with just the single stream. The size of the tank and the water flow needs of the inhabitants is the question.

Surface skimmer for freshwater tanks can work great. They can also jam and not work, but that isn't usually an issue as the bottom intake still work. They have to float with the water level so just the surface film gets sucked in.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! The filter did sit for a few months unused. Before that, it always restarted, and now it won't. It makes sense that something may have settled in that time, causing the problem. Any tips for cleaning out gunk that may have settled near the impellor? I try to be careful with the impellor and don't disturb it or remove it unless needed.

For the spray bar, does anyone have experience with getting a spray bar for this specific filter? It comes with something more like a powerhead and does not come with a spray bar. I have seen people make a DIY bar, but I don't think I'll be able to do that. I was wondering if any commercially available ones would fit this filter.

Would their be any advantage to the surface skimmer attachment?

Thanks!
    55 gallon planted - Fish & Shrimp - Pair of Gold Rams, albino bristlenose plecos, school of neon tetras, school of praecox dwarf neon rainbowfish, australe orange killifish, yellow kimono killifish, amano shrimp, bamboo shrimp, and a cherry shrimp colony. Plants - Dwarf baby tears, vals, guppy grass, moss, narrow-leafed java fern, amazon swords, anubias, and crypts

0 Not allowed!
    Oh gez....I hope the 404's do not have the same air lock problems the 305's have. My 305's run just great, silent, filter well but if I have to change the media then the old air lock problem appears again. EVERY time with one of my filters and now and then with the other. I can prime until my face is blue with no results.

Checking out the net, I see it's a very common problem with these filters and it's a PITA. Check the internet! The 404 is having the same issues.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I searched on air lock issues and wasn't sure it was the same thing...I saw your thread on the air lock issues here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=82301

But for mine, it seems different, but let me know if I'm thinking of this wrong. My filter will run if you open the canister, close it, prime it, and plug it in. If you unplug it, then plug it back in, it will not run. In that case, you have to unplug it, open it, close it, prime it, and plug it in...and then it works again. So basically, if it goes off, you have to open it up and close it again for it to re-start. It's only an issue in an outage, but I'd really like to fix the problem, as outages do happen and I want to be sure there aren't other major problems down the road!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 404 and a 405 both running with spraybars. No issues. They were purchased off e bay. I have also tried surface skimmer but found it unnecessary and kind of a pain when you need to feed the fish and it just sucks everything in. I dont like having to turn something off and run the risk of forgetting to turning it back on just to feed the fish. I didnt generally see surface scum unless I fed the tank with the lower quality foods.

Never heard of or experienced problems with these canisters restarting after power failure. I would check to see that the ball on the inlet basket inside the tank has not somehow suctioned itself closed. I know mine get clogged up with plant debris or the odd trumpet snail and the ball sometimes isnt able to move. The ball itself can be removed.
    31 Gallon Hagen Waterhome with 2 x 20W T8 6700K Life Glo tubes, Fluval 205 canister filter, Aquaclear 200W and Marineland Stealth 150W heaters, Hydor Hydrokable 50W substrate heating cable with Hydrostat thermostat, Hydor Ario 2 Blue aeration night light. Compressed CO2. Very Heavily Planted.

58 Gallon Hagen Light-Glo/Waterhome with 2x40W T8, 2x Fluval 404/405 canisters filters, Ebo-Jager 250W Heater, Marineland Stealth Pro 300W heater. Compressed CO2. Moderately planted.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

Still hoping to get to the bottom of the filter issue, if there are other ideas out there. My Fluval 404 will only restart if I open the lid and close it again. Then it will restart without any problem. This seems different to me than the air lock problem, but maybe I'm wrong...

Trying to find out what may be causing it, so if there's a solution I can replace/repair it. I'd like to be able to stop it and start it again without having to open it each time if possible, just for reliability.

Thanks for your ideas!

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Pull the impeller assembly and look for wear, debris, gunk etc. Maybe get a new impeller, see if that clears it up. If not its a fantastic idea to always keep one on hand anyway.

I know the aquaclear impellers do something similar when they get a little older. I have to poke them with something to get them to start again. Try giving it a little bump and see if it kicks on.

Has it done this since you bought it?
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,
    Sorry, somehow I missed your reply til just now. :(

@CGY_Betta_Guy - Thanks for the input and source on the spray bars. Now I know where to find them. :) I see what you're saying about the surface skimmer, thanks! Checking the ball inside the intake sounds like a good start.

@Scrup, I bought it used, and it didn't do this when the person I bought it from first got it. It actually started doing this just a couple days before I bought it (at a reduced price). Checking out the impeller and replacing it anyway probably is a good idea anyway.

If I get it working again, I'll update the post so if others have a similar issue they'll know what the solution was!