· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Help with setting up Shell Dweller tank

0 Not allowed!
    I am preparing to buy a 50 lb. bag of pool filter sand and was wanting to get some black sand to mix with it from Petco/Petsmart, this will be for a 55 gallon tank. Was wanting to know if 1 5 lb. bag would be enough black sand to make a difference or should I get 2 5 lb. bags? Also I want to possibly put mopani driftwood into the tank, would this be O.K. or would this not be such a good idea? Last of all what type of filtration do I need to use, I have alot of sponge filters and I have an AC 110 and AC 70 for filtration, I know the sponge filters would be good to keep from sucking up babies, should I put a sponge filter over each filter intake or should I use sponge filters and if so how many for the 55 gal.
    1--29 gallon tank: 1 small angelfish, pygmy cory, and 4 baby albino bristlenose.
    2--55 gallon tank: 1 adult angelfish, 7 black skirt tetras, 5 yo yo loaches, 1 synodontis catfish and 1 spotted raphael.
    3--3 gallon tank with female betta.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Get some Black Diamond or Black Beauty (same thing, different trade names) blasting grit. It's less than $10/50 lb bag, and will give you plenty to mix with the pfs to get the darkness you want. Check hardware or farm supply stores for that, and go with the largest grit size available.
    Filtration is determined by tank stocking. In a 55 you only have enough floor space for 2 species of substrate spawners, and you don't crowd Tang cichlids like Malawi mbuna. I ran 2 70's on my heavily stocked 55's before I upgraded to 75's, the 70 or the 110 along with an air-driven sponge filter should be fine for your purposes.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by toddnbecka
    Get some Black Diamond or Black Beauty (same thing, different trade names) blasting grit. It's less than $10/50 lb bag, and will give you plenty to mix with the pfs to get the darkness you want. Check hardware or farm supply stores for that, and go with the largest grit size available.
    Filtration is determined by tank stocking. In a 55 you only have enough floor space for 2 species of substrate spawners, and you don't crowd Tang cichlids like Malawi mbuna. I ran 2 70's on my heavily stocked 55's before I upgraded to 75's, the 70 or the 110 along with an air-driven sponge filter should be fine for your purposes.
    I'm planning on getting only multi's for the tank and probably some trumpet snails at a later time to keep the sand stirred up. Also I want to attach the sponge to each intake of the AC 70 and AC 110 filter instead of using just a sponge filter set up. I've googled and noticed that alot of people do this and it works great as long as you rinse the sponge in aquarium water when it gets clogged or nearly clogged with debre. When I lived in Pa. I had an AC 50 hanging on my 20 gallon and it seemed to work great, I'm just wanting to keep all the babies safe when the adults decide to breed.
    1--29 gallon tank: 1 small angelfish, pygmy cory, and 4 baby albino bristlenose.
    2--55 gallon tank: 1 adult angelfish, 7 black skirt tetras, 5 yo yo loaches, 1 synodontis catfish and 1 spotted raphael.
    3--3 gallon tank with female betta.

0 Not allowed!
    In my old 33g multifasciatus tank I used sand mixed with crushed coral as the substrate, this helped keep the pH of the tank where I needed it. For filtration I used a rena xp3 canister filter, it provided good flow in the tank. I did keep a sponge over the intake to protect fry from getting sucked up. Did also keep a sponge filter in the tank as well. The great thing about the sponge filters is lots of small 'stuff' grows on the sponges which small fry can feed off of. With a 55g you could use sponge filters as the only source of filtration, can get larger sponge filters. I would probably add in one powerhead to one side of the tank to help circulate the water if just using sponge filters.

For shells I was able to buy them cheap by the pound on ebay. Whale eyes worked rather well for multifasciatus. Think I was able to get 100 shells for $10-15 shipped. For a ratio try to have 2-3 shells per fish. I had roughly 200 shells in the 33g long. In about 6 months my colony of multifasciatus had completely overtaken the whole tank.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also, for shells, I found a great buy on escargot shells on Amazon.com. They are beautiful and run only a few dollars for a box of fifty. They are the perfect size and weight.

0 Not allowed!
    i hav a 125 gal with mostly tangys. u should do some crushed coral if u r gonna do driftwood. ur filters sound perfect.these r some of my favorite fish

0 Not allowed!
    oh and like everyone else said lots of shells

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't put wood in a Tanganyikan tank...it will just look wrong. Caves of rockwork and sand is the natural look.

Also, you don't want wood lowering your pH and tannins have no place in an African rift lake set up. I had rustic slate in my set up with crushed coral sand substrate. It raises the pH nicely.

0 Not allowed!
    I have a mix of aragonite sand and black flourite in my tanganyikan tank. You would be better off with some aragonite as it supports the pH and hardness the fish need. Wood would be ok, but I wouldnt get anything that leaches heavily like mopani...some well soaked manzanita branches paired with a bunch of rock and shells would look more natural.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon