· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Anacharis and Wisteria dying

0 Not allowed!
    my fairly new Anacharis and Wisteria i bought at petsmart are turning clear leaves, brown leaves and falling off. I use Seachem Flourish plants have been in tank 3 days. dont seem to be getting better. Could it be a deficiancy???

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    maybe they are acclimating to your tank. Hornwort for instance, is notorious for shedding all leaves when moved to different water conditions, but new ones eventually regrow.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No wonder your m doesn't work! Here is some more to replace what you sloshed. - mommy1   Bunny pest control penquin. - mommy1   I severely underestimated her stupidity... which was stupid of me! - Honey Badger 1   Well, from where I am sittin' it is good to have you back man! Have one on me. - Honey Badger 1   Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - 850R   

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    +1

Three days is nothing, Slow down, Don't panic and give them a few weeks to settle in and acclimate.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok its been 1 full week, they still look as though they are struggling i have them floating none are planted. One wisteria has a lot of roots but has black tiny spots and leaves are brittle. They other two wisteria have leaves but no roots. Same with anacharis, leaves are going clear still and has a tiny root. Should i do anything or just continue to let them go. I use 1ml of flourish in my 10 gallon a week

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the comfort. :) - Mrs.JayMay23   time for new stock? - Lady Hobbs   fishie, fishie in the sea - Lady Hobbs   more fish - Lady Hobbs   smarty-pants! - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    What temperature is your tank?
    Both plants prefer cooler water.

Seachem Flourish is a product line, not a single product. I'm guessing you're referring to Comprehensive, but what specific product are you using?
    If you are using Seachem Flourish - Excel, stop for now and purchase new plants.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman
    Seachem Flourish is a product line, not a single product. I'm guessing you're referring to Comprehensive, but what specific product are you using?
    If you are using Seachem Flourish - Excel, stop for now and purchase new plants.
    right! Excel is lethal to some plants. Anacharis is one of them, not sure about wisteria. That was my first guess before I even saw if you were dosing anything or not.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Im using Seachem Flourish comprehensive, not excel the CO2 thing. um tank is about 76 degrees,light is on 12 hours a day t8 15 watt full spectrum. All 3 wisteria are floating along with anacharis. Plants are green just seem very brittle and not really growing roots :( might try moss maybe id have better luck and skip everthing else lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the comfort. :) - Mrs.JayMay23   time for new stock? - Lady Hobbs   fishie, fishie in the sea - Lady Hobbs   more fish - Lady Hobbs   smarty-pants! - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    76 degrees is a bit warm for both plants. If you start at lower temps, then increase slowly, they should do better for you.
    Eight hours light with more light quality would be better as well.
    When I was a kid, decades ago, I raised a LOT of elodea or anacharis using a combination of one fluorescent strip light and one incandescent strip light.

Seachem Fourish Comprehensive is fine, at the recommended dosing.
    I suggest adding Seachem Flourish Trace, about once a week.

If you go for mosses, I suggest skipping java moss. It grows too easily and just seems to expand over time until one day the tank is full. If you want to grow java moss, try a pickle jar on a window sill. Christmas, flame, willow, there are lots of others. If you want a mass to grow fry in, guppy grass (najas species) works really well. Until it clogs the intake on the filter.
    Last edited by dbosman; 06-05-2012 at 12:56 AM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    im just looking for a nice plant that will cover my log i have in the center of the tank. As far as the lighting the hood i have has one Flourescent bulb in it. T-8 Full spectrum 15 watt. I havent been able to find a dual hood to fit a 20in long 10 gallon aquarium so im stuck witht hat. Light is currently running 12 hours. and im using comprehensive once a week like a quarter of a cap full.

Im bad at planning decorations i just think moss would look nice on the log and wisteria seems to be the only thing that will work in my tank thats bushy

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Anubias get bushy. Sort of. Clumps of bacopa makes a great bush. It has to be cut back and replanted when it curls over the top and starts across the top of the tank.