· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Spotted Gar: Beautiful and smart

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys. For a month now I have a 9,25" spotted gar in my tank. For the first few day it was a little timid but swimming and eating normally. I feed him some feeder fish and trained him to eat from my hands some frozen chicken. Also he eats tropical flakes, to my surprise, I feed my gouramis. Gar is definately not aggressive toward my gouramis and a 7.5" Striped Raphael catfish.
    I am super happy that I got him. Thanks, just wanted to share.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    I would avoid chicken and feed raw shrimp, prawn, and fish fillet. once he is eating that, I would get him off feeders also. they can introduce disease and parasites to your tank. your gar is still a baby and has alot of growing to do. best of luck with him!
    Thar she blows!!!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. I'll get some shrimps and fish fillet for him. Any fish in particular is better?
    Here is a video of my gar eating.
    http://s793.photobucket.com/albums/y...t=IMG_0170.mp4

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That is a nice looking Gar, Thank you for sharing!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    You seem to have a few gourami in there, no aggression issues?

What size tank is it?
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have totall of 7 gouramis and a 7" Striped Raphael Catfish sharing space with gar. Absolutely positively NO aggression whatsoever. Sometimes on le of gouramis would brush up on gar, a 7" golden one in particular - they are best friends now, swimming and hanging out together.
    It a temporary 29gal tank, I'm in the process of setting up my 55gal.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    I find it very hard to believe you have all that stock in a 29G with no issues
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yep! Everyone is healthy. I do weekly water changes, plus I have two filters up to 80 gal filtration. I am waiting on delivery of Rena XP4 canister and a 55 gal tank will be in this week.
    All gouramis and raphael were raised from 2" in that 29.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yep! Everyone is healthy.
    They might be healthy at the moment... but thats not the point.

That gar can probably reach about 10-15" in its first year, they get massive.

even if your upgrading to a 55gal it isnt big enough even for a growout tank.
    20gal- Honey gourami's, Endlers, otto's and minnows.
    22gal- 2 Honey gourami's, Bichir senegalus, apisto hongsloi
    33gal- (future home to Bichir senegalus)

0 Not allowed!
    You will eventually have issues with that mix of fish. Florida/Spotted Gars are not really aggressive...But he will eventually think he can make a meal out of them...And will try to do so. Just don't be surprised when it happens. Gars are predators...That means they eat other fish.

BTW...Skip the 55 and get a 75 gallon. A 55 is a 12" wide tank...pointless for a Gar. They need the turning space and a 75 will actually hold the gar for quite a while.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii