· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senior Project

1. Default Senior Project

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, so I'm from Oregon and in the whole entire state there's maybe 3 oceanic science teachers for high school. I'm lucky enough to have moved to a school with one of them. So it's nearing the end of my Junior year and to pass next year I have to do a Senior Project. We just got a new school and I would like to start a Saltwater tank for the future students in Oceanic Science to study/take care of/ observe/ possibly a touch tank if I'm lucky enough. I possibly have a 50 gallon tank to use.
    Anyways I was wondering if any of you guys have advice for me, ideas, tips, hints, anything to help.
    Thank You very much :)

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    First and foremost, saltwater tanks take a lot of equipment and need a lot of care - very often, too. They are fantastic to look at but need service even when the school is closed for holidays/vacation. Weekly water changes are a big deal. Feeding is a daily issue and not cheap. I kept saltwater once many years ago but these issues proved that I wasn't right for that hobby. Others here are great keepers but you really need to consider these issues for a school aquarium.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to Cermets post. Welcome to the Forum
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum

I would like to offer a different opinion here. I find SW tanks can be less work than FW tank. Right now I spend more time maintaining my 90 FW planted tank than I do iether of my two reef tanks

You can set-up a low-tech tank without a lot of fancy and $$$ equipment that would be healthy and stable, however, it would still take 6 months to a year befor it matures. This would also require a lot of up-front reseach but it can be easy to do.

As Cermet has stated, you would need a plan to maintain the tank during school holidays / breaks
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, I know it will take a lot of care. I was talking to my teacher about it but I think that the students would love to help take care of the tank. I'm willing to stay after school once a week and take care of the tank myself and I arrive at school and hour before it starts so I think I'd be able to feed the fish then. I hoping to do a fund raising event to get money and I'm willing to spend some of my own money to get this started, I was also thinking of asking for people to donate any equipment they have but don't use anymore.

Finding what to do with the aquarium over winter break and summer break will be something I'll have to discuss with the principal possibly

I'm willing to give my time towards this project because after high school I hope to work with marine mammals and aquariums, it'll be a great learning experience for me

Thank you for welcoming me guys :)
    Last edited by McCayla; 05-26-2012 at 05:13 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I'd think summer break would be the biggest issue, since temp control seems to haunt some SW keepers (me lol) since I know schools (expecially high schools) shut down for the summer. Meaning that the AC gets turned off. Now if you end up getting together enough money to get everything plus a chiller I'd say go for it.

What's your goal here though? Just out of curiosity? What's the idea behind the senior project because it'll be tough to have a thriving SW tank in a year. Most tanks take a year+ to chemically and biologically start leveling out. Not to mention solving any stocking issues or getting the tank stocked.

I'd like to hear what the goal of the project is before advising whether this is a good idea or not. I know you said overall it's to have a study/care for tank but what's your objective for senior project?
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah the temp here in Oregon can be pretty erratic, but in the summer it stays pretty level.
    Senior Projects are supposed to be related to what you want to do later in life, like what you're planning to go to college for. I want to work at aquariums, with fish, marine mammals etc. I want to be able to take care of them, set up tanks, choose the right fish, figure out the right ecosystem, if they get sick I want to be able to diagnose them. I want to do this project to see if I'm able to get it right... Gah I think that's what I mean I know it my head but I can't organize it into words.
    I have two younger siblings, my senior year my brother will be a freshman and he is willing to help out with the aquarium when I'm gone and can't drop by the school and when he's a senior my lil sis will be a freshman and she's willing to keep up with the aquarium by then other students will probably be pitching to help take care of the tank.
    I'm rambling whoops

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How about a large shallow tank? something 5 ft square but only about 15 inches deep. Keep native area fish and verts in it. I was fortunate enough to have gone to Wallops island here on the east coast to do some ocean/marine related studying when I was in high school. Certain things we would catch while out on the study boat would get brought back to this tank.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    50 gallon 5 or 6ft in length and it around 15in deep given to me by a person who doesn't have the room for it anymore, I'm not sure what kind of saltwater fish are on the west coast though

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by McCayla
    50 gallon 5 or 6ft in length and it around 15in deep given to me by a person who doesn't have the room for it anymore, I'm not sure what kind of saltwater fish are on the west coast though
    Study up! Thats what learning is about. IDK either

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast