· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 2 tanks, what to put in what?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello there!

I'm a newbie and am a soon to be mom of 2 marine tanks...
    I have a 30 gal and a 90 gal w/sump. I've been doing ALOT of research and hopefully with the help of my LFS, I can pull off two healthy marine tanks. This is a hobby my dad and I have been interested in getting into for a while. SO...

We really want to have sea horses, coral, and fish. But according to the LFS owner, you can't just put fish with sea horses because the fish will starve them (getting to the food quicker). So I am wondering what I should put in each tank, and in which volume..ie should I put sea horses and reef/coral in the 30 gal or 90 gallon OR fish and reef in the 30 or 90, etc? What do you guys think? I know it's a while before I can add anything to the tanks since they have to cycle but I'm just not sure which to put in which, in order to make them all happy and healthy.

ALSO: Can anyone here list some coral/reef or inverts that are fairly cheap and do not multiply like mad? We are wanting the coral most, something vibrant and very pretty to look at.

0 Not allowed!
    so you are completely new to fishkeeping?
    it is advised to start out with freshwater since things are easier
    and cheaper if you make a mistake. After you are good with freshwater should you
    advance on to the "next level"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ehh..not an option. We've been researching for a few months and have visited our LFS several times to learn more. We had a 30gal freshwater tank for about 2 years but just wanted more. It's really the reef we are interested in.

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest starting with one tank first. Set-up the 90 gallon as a reef tank and once you have a mature set-up, then consider setting up the 30 gallon.

The 90 gallon will be easier to maintain a learn with. Before I could make any suggestions for corals or fish, I would need to know what you have for equipment for this tank as well as how you are planning to set-up the tank.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Bigger is better in SW since it offers more stability... if you can do the 90 right (meaning if you can pony up the cash to do it right) then I'd definitely do that one
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well a week or so ago I put up a thread named "Is this a good deal" or something of the sort...the fish store guy has been very helpful and seems to have been leading us on the right track so far. I already have the 30 gal tank which we used for freshwater a few years ago, I've already checked it for cracks and it is fine to use. I was thinking of doing the 90 gal first will be the first and best way to go because of the "more water = easier to maintain levels" So that is what I'll do. The 90 gal set up comes with the tank, the stand, the sump set up, live rock and sand (equaling 1.3 lbs I think per gallon, but will prob start with 50 lbs and go up) the protein skimmer, the hood, and the "proper lighting" as said per the LFS guy but I would like to get the info on these lights so I can do more research. The total would be about $585 out the door. He says the lights are the kind you would spend 150 or more on if I bought them new. So, I think with the help of my LFS guy, I can pull it off and have some healthy tanks. Of course one at a time. The 30 gal we will probably do a filter though, instead of the sump since it's so much smaller.

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest to do some reading a research on your own as well. Even more so if you have been getting all of your information from the LFS

The reason why I say this is due to two statments that you have made.

1.3 lbs I think per gallon, but will prob start with 50 lbs and go up
    It is a very bad idea to add live rock to a cycled tank or a cycled tank with fish and other critters in it. The reason being the die-off from taking the live rock home could cause a ammonia spike which can crash a marine tank

The 30 gal we will probably do a filter though, instead of the sump
    If you have live rock you will not need a filter

Also, you have no listed all the required equipment for a 90 gallon marine tank. You will need powerheads to creat flow in the tank in order for your live rock to be able to function as you sourse of filtration. You might have just fogotten to list them, but I thought I would mention it just in case.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If I have learned anything in this hobby, its that you cant trust most LFS workers when equipment is involved. I might be wrong in this case...but I would find out the brand name of the skimmer, powerheads, and lighting. At least compare the prices to an online supplier like marinedepot and see if you are getting robbed.

You want to buy the right stuff the first time. If they are trying to sell you compact florescent lighting, that is a good indication that they are leading you down the wrong path.
    Last edited by coachfraley; 05-26-2012 at 05:04 AM.
    40g SW

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis
    it is advised to start out with freshwater
    Respectfully, this is not really true. That is a common misconception. The learning curve is a bit steeper, but it is no harder than FW. Actually, if the ultimate goal is to keep a reef, then start with a basic FOWLR setup and a couple of low cost fish like Clowns, Firefish, Grammas, or certain Wrasses.

I know I'm a bit late on this, but, if you are dead set on a seahorse tank, I'd use the 30gal for that, and the 90 for the full reef.

He says the lights are the kind you would spend 150 or more on if I bought them new.
    $150 is really not going to get you much for lights for a 90. Cliff, myself, and Labnjab all have tanks 90gal or larger, and I can tell you, $150 wouldn't have gotten any of us close to proper lighting for those tanks. With that said, all 3 of us now have LEDs on our tanks and we spent a good bit more on them then the average person would spend on lighting to start with. I wouldn't recommend you jump into LEDs right away, but it is an option to consider down the road a bit. The lights your LFS recommended will probably just barely get you enough to grow some soft corals with maybe a lower light LPS or 2.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    I would suggest to do some reading a research on your own as well. Even more so if you have been getting all of your information from the LFS

The reason why I say this is due to two statments that you have made.

It is a very bad idea to add live rock to a cycled tank or a cycled tank with fish and other critters in it. The reason being the die-off from taking the live rock home could cause a ammonia spike which can crash a marine tank

If you have live rock you will not need a filter

Also, you have no listed all the required equipment for a 90 gallon marine tank. You will need powerheads to creat flow in the tank in order for your live rock to be able to function as you sourse of filtration. You might have just fogotten to list them, but I thought I would mention it just in case.
    Okay..let me straighten some things out..
    We will purchase the 90 gal sump set up, while cycling it with the live rock, I will put 50lb to start with, and go up if I don't like the look of it..this will be fishless. I would not add live rock after I already have reef and fish and when the cycling is over..?

And the 30 gal is a seperate tank, which will have a filter..not live rock. Sorry if I was unclear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast