· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Cycle done in 2 days?!

0 Not allowed!
    As you may know, my 29 BioCube recently had a PH crash and bacterial bloom that killed all my fish. I removed all the water and sand, refilled it with new water, and put 'live' sand from a local pet store in. The sand is full of useful bacteria and teeny critters. I also added some new (cured) LR in addition to my old, and put some fish food in to feed the bacteria.
    Here's the thing: that was two days ago, and I just tested the water. 0 Am, 0 Nitrites, 20 Nitrates! The live sand does say 'instantly cycles your tank', but I didn't really believe it. So, is my tank cycled? I'm confused. The sand is called 'Natural Ocean Bio-Activ Aragonite', does anyone know if it really works? The guy at the pet store backed it up, and he's one of the rare pet store owners who knows what he's doing, and won't just tell you whatever makes him money.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    How much LR did you use? It's not unheard of to cycle that fast with already seeded media (your LR) but that's the main component not the sand IMO, IME "Live" sand is crap, but that's just from what I've seen.

Try adding some more food and just double checking it can break it down efficiently. If it does you're cycled haha if the rocks are from before your tank crash they probably have the BB to support multiple fish as a bioload so in that case it'll break down some fish food's ammonia pretty quick
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, thanks!
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, just tested it. 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, aprox. 20 Nitrates! Imma go buy my cleanup crew. They can be canaries in the coal mine. If they die, I'll know the killer bacteria from the crash aren't gone yet.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes the tank can "seem" cycled in 2 days but it will be a very shallow cycle. Do you have a plan of stocking this time around? With a 29 gal you are limited to about 3 fish a small handful of cuc. Make your plans now to avoid overstocking later. Set up a qt tank so you don't introduce and nastys.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    also introduce your fish slowly- i use the rule of one per week. i buy one keep them in QT for atleast a week, when that fish gets into the DT then buy another place them in Qt and continue taht process until stocked.
    10G Algae tank-The Nano was moved to the 55G
    55G Reef-
    55G FOWLR-soon
    55G Coral only-soon
    150G-reef/ fowlr? Soon
    75G predator tanksoon

DIY live rock

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Keeping in mind that week isn't really long enough for many issues to show themselves. 3 w2eeks is minimum. You are also acclimating them to your water conditions and food types while in qt.

0 Not allowed!
    If you keep in mind, that the rock is what really "cycles" then it is entirely possible for it to cycle that fast. We say "cycle a tank" but in reality we are only cycling the filter media. For our marine tanks, that means the live rock is what "cycles".
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm thinking, stockwise, one peaceful damsel (yes, they exist, I've kept them before) one small shrimpgoby w/ small pistol shrimp, and one chalk bass, plus maybe a small cleaner shrimp. I do have a small backup/QT tank, so if something goes wrong I can remove the critters.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    QT is about keeping a problem from happening. Ht is what you do when a problem occurs,proper qt usually keeps the latter from occuring.That peaceful damsel you talk about existing? You already had that one,there arent anymore May I suggest a clown goby instead? They stay very small and arent aggressive at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast