· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Sick Danio

1. Default Sick Danio

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have 2 spotted danios in my tank at the moment.

One is very healthy, whilst the other is looking very sick! It's tail looks like it's getting heavier and heavier and is unable to remain horizontal.. The fish sometimes rolls onto it's side and is looking very thin?

Is anyone able to assist?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In order to truly help we need a bit more info.

What size tank?
    Who else lives in the tank?
    What and how often do you feed?
    How much and often do you change your water?
    Do you change your filter media?
    Water are your parameters for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

With the answers to these questions we can help.
    Someday, when I have all the fish tanks I want, I hope to be featured on an episode of animal hoarders.

Received some great advice? Be sure to show your appreciation by giving rep points! Click the scale on the upper right of that wonderful post and tell someone

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Tank size, if its cycled or not and other inhabitants would help.

My opinion is it may be malnourished and stressed, the other one will constantly chase harrass and steal its food.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

The tank is a 60 cm tank, I only have the 2 danios and a pleco..

Feed once a day in the morning with red pellets. I tried to feed with a few flakes in addition to the pellets to see if it would help the sick fish as I did notice that the larger Danio was fighting for the food.

I recently did a water change, probably about a quarter of the tank?

Not too sure on the levels for ammonia etc.. did a PH test a few days ago and the levels were right..

Do you think I should separate the 2 fish and see if the feeding habits change?

When you mention cycled, is that in terms of the filtration system? Or of the chemical called Cycle?

Thanks for the help! My local fish store was of no assistance :(

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Right before we go any further go and do a 75% water change and remember to use dechlorinator. You tank isn't cycled by the sounds of it, check out cycling in the beginner section.

Danios are schoolers and shouldn't be kept in numbers less than 10, also the term plecos is broad, what one specifically? Commons themself can exceed 60cm.

Also what's the other dimensions of your tank? LxBxH??

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The tank dimensions are 60 cm (width) x 33 (height) x 31 (width)

I have a plecostomus that is approximately 6 cm long?

I use a dechlorinator as well as product that is a biological aquarium supplement?

Will start the water change process now. Should I move the stressed fish into a separate area of the tank? I have a netting structure that I once used to separate the young fish from the rest of the tank? That way I could control the food?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't say seperate them. Do your reading on cycling and then you can see where your at and sort your situation out

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So by my calculations we are working with a 16 gallon tank, about 60 litres. That is an extremely small tank for all of the plecos that I can think of. Do you know the scientific or common name for your pleco? And while we are on the subject, the names of the danios? Depending on what type they are they may not be compatible with your tank size.
    Someday, when I have all the fish tanks I want, I hope to be featured on an episode of animal hoarders.

Received some great advice? Be sure to show your appreciation by giving rep points! Click the scale on the upper right of that wonderful post and tell someone

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately have no idea which pleco it is.. will try and find out from the shop.. I believe that the Danio is a spotted Leopard Danio? Does that help?

Doing to water change now so will see in the morning what happens and will read up on the cycling.. Thanks!