· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was really concerned about the fish in the 5.5G, they all don't have room to swim! I know you're now attached to them in a way, but, that's just way too much fish in a small tank, even with the 1 inch per gallon guide.

What I would do is.. get them a 10/15G tank instead of the 5.5G.

Question though, is the 30G cycled? Sometimes fish are a little "not in the mood" because of parameters swinging back and forth in an uncycled tank. But when the cycle has finished, then they will soon show their true colors. I will really get the gourami and bettas in their own tank before something bad happens..
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

0 Not allowed!
    As has been said, take the paradise fish back. Its really interesting and unusual that the other fish and Betta get along, but since its been a peaceful mix insofar, I wouldn't risk that set up with another fish. Personally, I think its super cool somehow that the other fish all get along! Its sad the new fish did not work out, the store certainly gave you some uninformed advice.

I agree with Paul that you should consider eventually upgrading the other tank to a 10 gallon. If your Betta is happy and perky now, he'll be ultimately deliriously happy in a 10 gallon.

Again I think its really awesome that you have some pretty mellow Betta that accept company, wish mine would!
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

0 Not allowed!
    How can people tell if a Betta is not doing well? If they swim and eat and are fine and not stressed, then they are doing well. They are not a fish that require pals and do very well on their own without others invading their space. If you want the Paradise fish, then put the Betta in it's own tank again?

Too much crowding of fish going on and Betta's are NOT happy stressed out with a mirror. And how is putting neons with a Betta fair to the neons who are stressed out when sharing a tank with larger fish to began with?
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 05-23-2012 at 04:45 PM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lady hobbs
    the betta wasn't doing well. All he did was lay on the bottom of the tank. ate very little - i tried flakes, betta pellets, blood worms, tubiflex worms. he was lethargic. I'd read to occasionally show him a mirror to get some exercise. So I tried it.I did not intend to hurt him or stress him. that's why I got him the 5.5 gal and took him out of the little bowl he'd been in for several months. the 5.5 tank is fully cycled. So it's not a water problem.
    And no, I hadn't intended to put the neons in with him Good reasons or not, however, I had an 'issue' and that's what happened. my filter for my QT developed a problem so rather than put the new neons in the 30 gal and risk that tank I put them in the 5.5. It seemed the best option as I live 40+ miles from FS and have many obligations to meet that don't allow me to go but every couple of weeks.

My intent was to eventually move them to the 30 gal ... but this seemed like a happy accident.
    How do I know if they are fine? Well, I guess I don't. They don't have ich. Seem healthy. They swim, they flit in and out of the hollow log I bought them. Sometimes they school. They eat, they seem to play. The betta patrols instead of laying on the bottom. Seems like a win win to me.

I'm trying. I really am. I am diligent with W/C, testing, feeding, checking on them. And I do so appreciate all the help but sometimes I feel as though it doesn't matter what I do, I'm never going to get this right..
    but I'll keep trying.
    the paradise is going back. He's in the QT tank now (got the filter fixed) I won't give up my bettas :o(
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bettas can stay if you want. But I would really advise on getting them back, or getting them a separate tank for each betta. Or upgrade to 10G and put the betta with the neons there, then put the other betta in the 5.5G.

I would totally return the other 2 gouramis with the paradise fish. I am not sure if your 30 is cycled or not, but sooner or later those gouramis will kill each other if they stay in that tank.

Another thing, it might be that the betta with the neons is a little old now and is fading away.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    I'm trying. I really am. I am diligent with W/C, testing, feeding, checking on them. And I do so appreciate all the help but sometimes I feel as though it doesn't matter what I do, I'm never going to get this right..
    but I'll keep trying.
    Props for sticking with it. I know there is a lot of info out there about what is right and what is wrong. Some is fact and some is opinion and I find it's often difficult to separate the two. I hope that you are able to find your own recipe for success. I just think the most important thing is to not be blinded by how the fish "look" and remember to use common sense.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks again everyone.
    Every response is a learning experience for me. I appreciate it.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492