· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default chinese ivy choking plants. Where to fasten?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, I have what I think is chinese ivy. Cardomine Lyrata off the top of my head... honestly have no idea.
    It grows REALLY fast, so fast in fact that from a top down view, it's taken up almost a half of the surface. Everything under that is being choked and so I had to recently move it all to the foreground to get some light.

Each 'vine' has its own roots and it's made me wonder if I could have it as a ground creeper (is that the right terminology?). The issue is, how would I keep the plants down?
    I have a sand substrate so I was thinking of using thick gauge fishing line and simply bend it over the vine and push it into the sand. An issue I can see is the fishing line becoming dislodged and getting stuck in a filter or even a fish!

Could I tie it to some sort of mesh? Am I able to put 'anything' into the water? As in plastics, metal etc

My final goal is to have the vines creeping along the ground so that I can space the plants out better.

0 Not allowed!
    If the plant floats, then likely not. Many of the floaters do well because their roots are in the water but the top of the plant is out of the water near the light. To completely submerse them would kill them. Thin them out if their are too many of them. That's what happens when tanks get overgrown just as we have to trim back out houseplants when they get overgrown?

Chinese Ivy is a houseplant so likely is something different. If you can get a photo of them, you may be able to sell some, as well, in our classified section.