· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    No it won't matter. As soon as you take live rock out of water to move it from one tank to another you start to get some die-off which will cause a ammoina spike. Its not a matter of "if" it will happen, just a matter of how big will the spike be and how long will it last.
    And it seems I am always testing my water... Is that a newbie thing. I test it atleast once a day. if not a few times during stressful times like these.
    72 gallon saltwater

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i have had 3 chromis just vanish- i suspect the CUC in my case, if you have crabs or hermits, they will eat a dead fish rather fast. that's a small clown and he could be anywhere. i would just wait it out, or when you feed make sure to keep an eye out, my Maroon clown hid in the back corner for a few days, have you check in your sump since you have an over flow?
    10G Algae tank-The Nano was moved to the 55G
    55G Reef-
    55G FOWLR-soon
    55G Coral only-soon
    150G-reef/ fowlr? Soon
    75G predator tanksoon

DIY live rock

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hpimichael02
    i have had 3 chromis just vanish- i suspect the CUC in my case, if you have crabs or hermits, they will eat a dead fish rather fast. that's a small clown and he could be anywhere. i would just wait it out, or when you feed make sure to keep an eye out, my Maroon clown hid in the back corner for a few days, have you check in your sump since you have an over flow?
    I have a built in overflow that i can see in. And the way the intake and output are set up, there is no way he could go through the float on the intake. The only other thing I can think of is, he jumped out the back and happened to go under the stand where there is a small space in the middle when I leveled the tank. I can't see that far in the back, and used what i could of a rod to poke and slide out anything thats under there but I think I need a smaller rod/ piece of metal or something to get under there better. I hope he just reappears but I doubt it.... Here's hoping
    72 gallon saltwater

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hpimichael02
    And CUC? I've heard that could be the cause of missing fish.... What kind of CUC is capable of this? I only have two turbo snails, scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, and a red chocolate ship star fish. Would they be capable of this?
    72 gallon saltwater

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If it was dead, they would eat it. None of those are capable of killing anything bigger than a fry.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have been experiencing the same problem, missing fish.

Many reasons could be.

In my case, the fish could die in hideouts such as inside a hole, behind surfaces which won't be easy to spot.

Fish will decolor after death, and eventually decompose completely!

I was able to find a indistinguishable mostly decomposed fish between my custom made background and glass