· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Keeping dwarf gouramis

0 Not allowed!
    In a 30g tank could I keep 1 male Gold Honey Dwarf Gourami (Trichogaster chuna) and 2 Female Coral Blue Dwarf Gouramis (Colisa lalia).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   For being a fish aphrodisiac... - Scrup   for all your trouble with your mother ... - mermaidwannabe   

0 Not allowed!
    with what else? I dont see why not as long as you are SURE that the lalias are female and you have the stocking room. Females are silver with very slight patterns that you can see if you shine the light on them just right. Make sure there are areas for them to claim as their individual homes also. They like the security of having a spot that's all theirs. If there are enough spots they wont have to fight over them.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I also have neon tetras, guppies and some red cherry shrimp.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas - KingFisher   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thanks! - pRED   

0 Not allowed!
    Short answer :NO

Gouramis do not work in multiples unless in a 70G+ tank with loadsa plants. Talking from quite a bit of gourami experience here. One will always hassle the other until it dies. No matter what sex it is, I had a female before who killed the other male, female and angel fish. They are aggressive fish who can be highly territorial.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   For being a fish aphrodisiac... - Scrup   for all your trouble with your mother ... - mermaidwannabe   

0 Not allowed!
    You could try it, but have a back-up plan. I usually have pretty god luck with gouramis getting along, but maybe im just extremely lucky. I have 2f 1m too. Watch them in the store closely for 10-15mins before you buy them. Choose ones that are healthy, dont show any aggression in that time frame, and are appealing to you. Make sure the store takes fish back before you buy them, so that if it doesnt end up working you know you can take problem ones back. If you follow these rules and also the one i previously stated about individual hidey spots (plants, caves) i think you have a pretty good chance. I suggest 2 spots per gourami in this case. They wont claim them all, but they will have a nice selection of what to choose and wont have to fight at all in that aspect. :)
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    In MY experience more than 1 gouramis (of any kind) doesn't work. I am down to 1 female pearl gouramis and my other tank I have 1 dwarf. Even with the male and female combo I found it did not work. i couldn't stand seeing the male bully the female so I rehomed him.
    Allergic to all things furry.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 Dwarf Gouramis in my tank they are both males and the tank is only 20G have had them there for about 3 weeks havnt had any problems at all with mine they swim around together it almost looks like they are schooling fish (WHICH THEY ARE NOT)
    20 Gallon Community

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I would be cautious and avoid keeping them together. Yes, it may work out. But perhaps only for a short time, and just think of how bad you'll feel if you end up with a dead gourami. They may look like they're getting along during the day, but once the lights get out that's usually when they get most aggressive.
    16.5G - Rummynose Tetra, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snails

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts!!  Happy New Year! :) - Ellen4God   Thanks for the heads up on tank size - Intentional or not  :-P - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo0508
    I have 2 Dwarf Gouramis in my tank they are both males and the tank is only 20G have had them there for about 3 weeks havnt had any problems at all with mine they swim around together it almost looks like they are schooling fish (WHICH THEY ARE NOT)
    Looks like the tank is uncycled and they have better things to do to survive than to fight each other. When the cycle is done, they'll show their true colours. This is only a speculation in my point though (that the tank is cycling)

No is the answer for keeping multiple gouramis. Even if it does work now, you'll never know when the dominant gourami will shred the other one to death.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    No here as well. No point, IMO, of getting fish we know won't get along just to try it?