· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Hand fed angel

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Hand fed angel

0 Not allowed!
    The angel given to me a couple of days ago is still not eating properly. The guy who had her before hand fed her. I have tried his technique as described and she does recognize it as food (a squished up pellet of flakes) but she loses it easily and so far doesn't seem to recognize anything else as food.

She is 5 yrs old. Will she get it? Is she still stressed from the move? She looks calm and is swimming around easily. I have tried pellets, flakes, thawed frozen blood worms, mini blood worms, glass worms, and brine shrimp. She just lets it all float past her.

Any advice would be helpful.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    As long as her water is great, the temp of the tank is what she's used to and she's acting ok, then I wouldn't worry about it. She will began to eat again. I would give her floating pellets and let her eat when she wants to.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Thanks Lady Hobbs

0 Not allowed!
    Actually the previous owner said he kept his tank much cooler. I think this is what led to so much of her stress originally. He didn't tell me what it was but just that it felt much cooler than mine. I keep this tank at 78.

I will try not to worry then.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   No Message - Indian Woods Angels   You need a Tanganyikan Cichlid - jeffs99dime   Now you have 4 firemouths! - seb's fish   Arapaima and whale shark in 20G made me LOL! - ddavis1979   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Northerly   Autism - Northerly   

0 Not allowed!
    as in he hand fed her EVERY time he fed her? i hand feed my gold severum but only every once in a while, and only with plankton or brine shrimp. freeze dried.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, every time. I tried it and wound up making a sloppy paste that floated by her to the gravel. She looked very interested in it, however, but once it went past her she lost interest, or so it seemed. He told me he would use his finger on the glass, tapping etc to guide her to food she missed. I am not into this much babying, but I do want to do right by her.

I worry that she won't learn to eat normally. She seems totally nonplussed by the blood worms and other treats I have offered. And she keeps looking at the top as if waiting for the perfect food to drop, which is, I guess, what he did. Otherwise she looks perfectly healthy.

Ever heard of this?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    A fish's normal life is spent searching for food. It gives them something to do and removes the boredom. I would not stand there attempting to hand feed my fish. If they are hungry, they will eat what they can find. If the fish is not taking it from your hand, then they are probably going hungry.

Hand feeding is cute but when it's the only way they will eat, then it's not normal.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks!

I so totally agree. I feel annoyed with him for doing this to her and leaving me with this worry.

Again this morning the only thing she looked remotely interested in was the sinking pellet for the Corys. But once it went past her she ignored it.

I am just going to trust that she will get so hungry she will begin acting like a normal fish. All the others act like they have been starving overnight and rush after the food and gobble as much down as they can before their neighbour gets it.

I have also been wondering if I have too much water movement in that tank for her. I have a Rena xP4 and the output is fairly close to the surface. There is a lot of circulation. Should I shut it off when I feed her? I have tried that and she still didn't take anything but she is so slow it's as if she has to think about it for a looooong time before she goes to investigate.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    OK, so I shut down the filter and gave her lots of time with the flakes. The other fish didn't interfere much since they had been fed. She slowly began to pick flakes that floated past her and now she is eating them off the surface. Yaaaay!

So I either have to shut the filter off each time I feed her, or find a way to make the water less turbulent for her. Right now I have the bar across the end of the tank that sprays the water the whole length. I wonder if I put the other head on and face it to discharge along the back length if that would be better for her.

Any ideas?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Hope you are well man - robflanker   Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   Happy Birthday - mommy1   
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster   

0 Not allowed!
    I've had issues with new angels eating too. Stress might cause it, lots of fish around, and heavy water movement. I've actually had to change filters to slow down the water for mine. Spoiled brats they are...
    I agree with the others about the food... she gets hungry enough she'll eat. This is dinner, take it or leave it. (have the same attitude with my kids...lol .) It may take a bit as she learns to get use to a new way of getting food but I wouldnt stress too much about it. Maybe try live brine shrimp or something like bloodworms or krill. Even if you have some guppy fry around. Live food has always gotten the pickiest eaters attention in my tanks. Mine have never liked the pellets for some reason. Maybe she'll find a treat she likes and that may help to get her to eating like the others.
    As far as temp goes, I keep mine between 77-79*. The cooler the water the slower their metabolism will be. From what I've read and with my own times of trial and error that seems to be the best range. Others may think different but this has always worked well for me.
    Angel breeder wanna-be

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much Jaster. She is now eating with relative gusto. Whew! I left the water flow as is after talking to my favourite fish store. I do appreciate feedback.