· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    How come you don't setup a diy co2 setup? It is very easy and relatively cheap. Your sword will grow fine with proper lighting and ferts, but if you really want to see it take off and produce offspring, I would recommend co2. I eventually give in and went the co2 route and absolutely no regret.

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, swords are pretty big plants for a 29 gallon so you probably don't want it to grow too fast or will simply have to remove it. Don't plant it too deep and use those root tabs and it should be ok. You simple said flourescents. That's different than compact lighting.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 05-16-2012 at 03:41 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks!
    Allergic to all things furry.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    CO2 speeds up sword growth so much it's crazy. I don't have a particularly high light tank (just under 2 watts per gallon) and for months my swords didn't grow at all, but when I added CO2 I had sword babies within three weeks and couldn't even see any of the original leaves.

If you don't want to mess with DIY CO2 I would at least consider some sort of CO2 supplement.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I really know nothing about lighting, but would like to. : ) With 2 WPG do you need to run co2? I have a 26 Bow front with the stock bulb so I am assuming I have really low light too especially given it is a tall tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Mine are doing awesome with no Co2. I am not sure about your lighting, but I know that swords 'can' be in rather low light and still do ok.
    Allergic to all things furry.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE
    CO2 speeds up sword growth so much it's crazy. I don't have a particularly high light tank (just under 2 watts per gallon) and for months my swords didn't grow at all, but when I added CO2 I had sword babies within three weeks and couldn't even see any of the original leaves.

If you don't want to mess with DIY CO2 I would at least consider some sort of CO2 supplement.
    Please, pardon the stupid question, but what is a co2 supplement?

0 Not allowed!
    You do not need CO2 on 2 watts of light. A good plant substrate and decent lighting and ferts and your plants will grow. CO2 is needed for high light plants. I would only use Excel if it was totally necessary to stop algae growth for a short time. It kills many plants and has killed fish in the past, as well.

Keep this hobby easy and in your comfort zone. It doesn't need to be so complicated.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the sound advice. At this point I only have a 15W bulb for my 26 gal. bow so I am looking to invest in a better light fixture. Do you know any thing about the Nova Extreme? The one I am considering as 2X24w bulbs.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
    It's about learning to dance in the rain.

0 Not allowed!
    I have a Nova on my 55 gallon. They're a good light but they are a high intensity bulb in them......T5H0. I actually can't see using such a high intensity on a 29 gallon to have some low-light plants.

When I bought that light, I actually went down in wattage (from 130 to 108 but the intensity of the lights are brighter due to those bulbs so right away I started fighting with the green spot algae because the tank then required more fertilizers.

I do intend to replace the one bulb that is 10,000K for one that is 67,000K.

It depends on what all a person wants to put into having some plants in their tank, how much they want to invest in money and time and what plants they wish to have. I just want nice healthy green plants and not concerned with having them growing out the top of the tank each week. Sword plants grow very large, even too big for a 29 gallon tank so I see no need to get it to speed up it's growth so it will no longer work in the tank size. Swords require iron pellets at their roots more than high lighting.

We all have different needs for our tanks individually. I just like to keep it easy and hate fighting algae.

If you do get this light, I think it's cheaper here than anywhere.

http://www.petmountain.com/product/a...ter-light.html

They must be selling a bunch of them as they appear to all be Out of Stock right now.