· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Plant Safe Cichlid Inverts

0 Not allowed!
    I'm starting a geophagus cichlid tank which may include one or several of the following: Green terror, Firemouth Cichlid, Green/Red Texas Cichlid, Geophagus Tapajos or a blue acara. I haven't decided yet, but the one thing I do have already is a Threadfin Geophagus.

Anyhow, I'm going to try to keep if nothing else moss and hopefully a fully planted tank, but I'd really like to ad some inverts that can both withstand the cichlids and NOT eat the plants. Any suggestions?
    كل نفس ذائقة الموت ثم الينا ترجعون

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashurbarnipal
    I'm starting a geophagus cichlid tank which may include one or several of the following: Green terror, Firemouth Cichlid, Green/Red Texas Cichlid, Geophagus Tapajos or a blue acara. I haven't decided yet, but the one thing I do have already is a Threadfin Geophagus.

Anyhow, I'm going to try to keep if nothing else moss and hopefully a fully planted tank, but I'd really like to ad some inverts that can both withstand the cichlids and NOT eat the plants. Any suggestions?
    I'm wondering the same thing. I have a ten gallon with a convict cichlid and was wondering if some species of clawed shrimp would be able to hold its own against a cichlid but not be able to obliterate my plants (had a crayfish and even the plastic plants weren't safe).
    [B]Fish Aquarium:
    1 female convict
    1 female betta
    4 platys
    3 pepper corydoras
    1 clown pleco
    2 mystery snails

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Try a gabon(cameroon) shrimp.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bamboo shrimp may work because of its size, the ciclid may not attack. Do research before you try any.

1 Not allowed!
    Err... people... you do know how big these cichlids get? Andt that as soon as the hormones start flowing you'd better have sightlines broken and territorial boundries in place?

Larger shrimp will try to eat the fish if they're young and asleep at night. Anything smaller is cichlid food. MTS will probably survive but that's it.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i wouldnt worry about the inverts eating your plants, they'll all be cichlid food, especially with the cichlids you are planning to keep, id worry about your cichlids ruining your plants, they love to uproot plants, a lot of cichlids move substrate around, they'll pick up rocks and move them, up root plants, so its tricky, id suggest going to the cichlid forum and getting more info there and learn their needs before worrying about what kind of inverts will go with them.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    MTS would withstand the cichlids and are harmless to plants. Any sort of shrimp or crayfish would be eaten sooner or later, even the toughest of them molt and are vulnerable until the new shell hardens. Forget a fully planted tank with any cichlids larger than Apisto's, it just won't work. Java fern tied or glued to a suitable base is probably your best bet.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    this thread is old.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1