· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Rabbit questions

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys. Never thought of asking a rabbit question on an aquarium forum, but what the heck? *lol* Enough knowledgeable folks on here, someone may have a suggestion.

I have a Californian buck and a New Zealand doe I'm trying to breed. We've finally gotten past the not even wanting to be bred attitude of the doe--she took him happily. Multiple times. But she does not appear to have caught. I'm going to breed them again this weekend, but if she doesn't catch again, would I be better off getting another doe to see if the doe is the problem, or getting another buck to see if the buck is the problem? Which would y'all think is more likely?

0 Not allowed!
    How old are your rabbits, Kay?
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I used to show and breed rabbits till about two years ago, and generally the issues are, as escamosa stated, possibly the age of the female as well as the weight of the female. An overweight animal will most often over not be able to produce a viable litter.

N ot to imply she is, but most cases ive had have been animals overweight. She is a meat type rabbit, but who knows as more info is needed, age weight and the like.

Glad others on here are into the rabbit habbit!
    2.5 Gal- Frank, Male Betta, HM- Low Tech Planted Tank
    5.5 Gal- Fancy Male Guppies- Maintained for the Dorm Room
    360 Gal- Pond- An Goldfish Adventure!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Jeez I never thought I'd hear someone say they couldn't get their bunnie pregnant . . . . usually they breed like, er, well, rabbits
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lol ScottishFish. That's what my friends said. I spent four months trying to get the rabbits I had to breed--the females refused. The males were more than happy to do their job, but the females said uh uh. Isn't that always the way?

They're both a year old, April and May birthdays. Neither are overweight--female has a nice dewlap, but not overweight. I have issues with having overweight animals considering all the health problems it causes, so that stays well monitored.

They were refusing to breed last fall, which, despite being annoying, is explainable as they were young and where they are isn't lit artificially so I can see them not wanting to breed as we move into winter, so I let it rest for a few months, and they bred immediately when I tried a bit over a month ago. Then again a few minutes later. Then again that afternoon.

I had two other does; one died of prolapse, one I have no idea why--just came home to a dead rabbit. Lost a male that way, too. No indications of illness in any of them, plenty of food and water...that was three+ months ago and haven't lost any others. Just in case that might make a difference.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecile1
    Glad others on here are into the rabbit habbit!
    I used to be into the rabbit habbit! Haven't had any in ages now.

Quote Originally Posted by KaylNeko
    Lol ScottishFish. That's what my friends said. I spent four months trying to get the rabbits I had to breed--the females refused. The males were more than happy to do their job, but the females said uh uh. Isn't that always the way?
    The girls always play hard to get!

Kay, have you heard of rabbits having epilepsy? Some rabbits can have seizures - some epileptic, some caused by a genetic problem, a brain injury, or some kind of lesion on the brain. This could explain why you lost your other rabbits. Just thought I'd mention that, just in case you hadn't heard of it. It's something to look out for or ask about, when you buy your rabbits.

Your larger breeds of rabbits, like the Californians, can take a little while to mature. About 8 - 10 months. Usually the doe will mature around a month before the buck. So they might be just a bit slow to mature. It's not usually something that happens, but I guess it's a possiblity. The other thing that i see that you mentioned, is that you are going into winter. Was your summer a really hot one? If you have really hot summers, sometimes the bucks don't produce enough sperm, so it makes it tough to for the doe to conceive.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I hadn't considered epilepsy, but it's definitely a possibility. We were going into winter when the does weren't wanting to breed. Now we're in spring. I'll give it another shot next week once I'm sure she's just not going to have a (really) late litter and see what happens. Thanks ^_^ I'll keep y'all updated *lol*

0 Not allowed!
    Good luck!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I could be wrong of course but isn't a year rather old for a first litter?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    She refused to breed in the fall. It's a bit old commercially speaking, but I've never seen anything that indicated it should cause problems.