· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Deaths

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   another pleco for your AC Tank - Northernguy   Good job with your filter - Cliff   No! You're banned for sending me a gift.. : ) - Little Embers   Any more pleco's and your going to need a bigger tank. - gadget228   
    Childhood Cancer - Pleco380   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Pleco380   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Pleco380   

Default Strange Deaths

0 Not allowed!
    About a month ago one of my black phantom tetras died. She was the smallest one. Just today a Cory had a huge gash on his side which was partly covered in fungus. He died. My only guess is that the pleco could be doing this? I've never had a pleco do anything like this before. I had a water test a few days ago. Ammonia was 0, nitrite was 0, nitrate was 5, and PH was 7.2. What's going on here? Some of my plants are also getting holes in their leaves. I fertilized them but it made no difference. I have several ghost shrimp. Could they be responsible? What is going on?! My tank is suddenly chaos!
    26 gallon- 1 Clown Pleco, 3 Rummy-nose Tetras
    Read about my fish in my blog:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...wjournal&j=467

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have drift wood or something like that in the tank which your corey could have accidently scrapped or cut himself on?

That could explain what happened to your corey.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   another pleco for your AC Tank - Northernguy   Good job with your filter - Cliff   No! You're banned for sending me a gift.. : ) - Little Embers   Any more pleco's and your going to need a bigger tank. - gadget228   
    Childhood Cancer - Pleco380   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Pleco380   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Pleco380   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes there is driftwood. Unfortunately I put gravel in before I thought about stocking the tank so it's not exactly ideal for cories. Should I wait a few days and if nothing else happens add a new Cory and tetra?
    Read about my fish in my blog:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...wjournal&j=467

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    That might be a good idea

Take a week and watch the tank for signs of anything wrong. If you see nothing wrong, and the fish all look healthy and happy as they always have, you likely have no diseases or anything like that in the tank.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The fungus only appeared today. No other fish are injured that I know of. Is it likely the fungus is no longer an issue since I know it's contagious. Also, any ideas about the plants? Thanks again for the help.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    My guess is the open cut got infected which was what lead to the fungus. As you water water parameters are fine you will mostly likely be alright. Keep an eye on the tank for the next while just to be safe.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    +1 with Cliff - I also wouldn't worry about your gravel with the corys - I have gravel (not even fine gravel) and my corys do fine in there - sometimes fish get injured and we don't know how.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas - KingFisher   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thanks! - pRED   

0 Not allowed!
    I have an L022 pleco and I now need to keep him really well fed, if not whenever my cories and khulis get sinking tablets he actively attacks them. He has had a khuli loach in his mouth before. Grumpy get he is . . . still love him though

Also as the others have said gravel is fine, my tank with the cories is gravel and they dont mind at all
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone. Any ideas on the holes in the plant leaves? Is it somehow related with the fish problems?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas - KingFisher   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thanks! - pRED   

0 Not allowed!
    Probably your fish. I know there's some plants my fish just love chomping on
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .