· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: dirty water

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Unhappy dirty water

0 Not allowed!
    hollo ac members i have a aqua one 130ltr 620t with 550lph power head the tank is62by 72by 39cm,im having problems clearing my water i think i over stocked i have 5mollies,2 2spot goramies 3 corries,4 black widow,1male betta 2female 3harlequins,3 neons,2snails,1 plec. tank has sand bottom,9 assorted plants,bogwood,tanks been 2 months my fish seem fine my ph is fine dont own test kit yet,i have small interpet pf running seems 2 help a little, i was thinking of adding a fluval u4 meant for130 to 240ltr tank and maybe just run the fluval what do u think ?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Excellent car advice...and other advice too! - Rue   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rmiller   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - rmiller   

0 Not allowed!
    What color is your water? Did you cycle your tank?

Your stock is a bit questionable as well. Having 2 gourami in one small tank can be a bad idea. Also the cories, harlequins, and neons are all schooling fish, therefore they should be in larger groups. Unfortunately your tank isn't big enough to handle proper schools of so many fish. Do you know what type of pleco you have? Common plecos will grow to more than 2 feet and will outgrow your tank rather quickly. However there are several species that are suitably sized for your tank.
    Someday, when I have all the fish tanks I want, I hope to be featured on an episode of animal hoarders.

Received some great advice? Be sure to show your appreciation by giving rep points! Click the scale on the upper right of that wonderful post and tell someone

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    hi i cycled with the neons and mollies who were in a 1o gallon tank with the harleyquins then added the rest weekly i plan 2 give my son 10gl and my schooling fish keeping the corries ,its a bristle nose plec im sure they stay small,i ordered my fluval u4 shuold be here tomorrw hopefully clear dirt particles ,i do regular waterchanges and flr maintenance, getting test kit asap havent lost any fish in 130ltr (yet) had some bad advice from lps no suprise there! im also going to upgrade my tank next year when i learn a bit more about fishkeeping, the ac is a great source of info and help

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rmiller   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - rmiller   

0 Not allowed!
    So is the water cloudy, brown, or green?

Cloudy is typically caused by ammonia in the water, which results from either improper filter maintainance or stocking too quickly to allow the bacteria to keep up. Could also be caused by over feeding.

Brown is usually tannins from drift wood. Can be left as it doesn't harm anything and will clear with water changes.

Green would most likely be an algae bloom from to much light or nutrients in the water.

The bristlenose will be fine in a 130 litre tank. When moving fish to the 10 gallon, be sure not to overstock it as small tanks are harder to maintain.

As soon as you get your test kit please post your numbers so we can help if they are out of whack.
    Someday, when I have all the fish tanks I want, I hope to be featured on an episode of animal hoarders.

Received some great advice? Be sure to show your appreciation by giving rep points! Click the scale on the upper right of that wonderful post and tell someone

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the help il let u no how it goes

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    the waters cloudy and dirty i cut back feeding from twice a day 2 once, think ive stocked 2 quikly,doing regular maintenance il put fluval u4 in tomorrow and post how it goes

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds great. Just make sure to keep your current filter running while your new one builds up a bacteria colony. It never hurts to run two filters on the same tank, you never know when one will go out or you forget to plug one back in after a water change. Good luck and keep us posted.