· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: The Convict

1. Default The Convict

0 Not allowed!
    After all the recommendations for my 37gallon I'm embarrased to say I didn't go with any. I really wanted the Yellow Convict, but was told by a reputable Central American Cichlid breeder that they are no more in the States, and while I really liked the Tangs, my tank just wasn't set up for them and I would have had to start from scratch. I ended up getting two Black Convicts. After doing research my tank seems to sufficient and they seem like a cichlid for the novice. One is definetly a Male, about 3 inches. At my LFS the convict tank had about 50 a little over an inch, none showing any color, so I had them just give me one and was told to bring it back if it doesn't show any color after a few weeks. So now I have one 3 inch Male and 1 small unknown. I read somewhere that if you flash a light on their anal fin and it shows any blue or green that it is probably a female so I may have lucked because it's tail shows a greenish tint, but only when I flash a light on it. They have been in my tank for a couple of weeks now and the smaller one spends a lot of time in a few of the caves and the large one swims around freely. They swim together and everyonce in a while and the larger one will chase the smaller one off but doesn't follow where the smaller one goes. If they do end up doing the deed my LFS said they would take the survivors.

One strange behavior I noticed : They both faced off at the top of a slate rock. The smaller one then flipped on its side and slapped its back fin on the rock, almost like giving it a high five, then the larger one did the same. They did this back and forth for about a minute then went their separate ways. This only happened once about a week ago.

0 Not allowed!
    It is not true that there are no yellow convicts (Cryptoheros nanoluteus) in the states. I have some, though my breeding pair hasn't successfully raised any fry.

Congrats on the convicts though, they're a good starter cichlid and much hardier than the nanoluteus.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your right, I don't then he meant the don't exist, just no one is breeding them. Here is what he had to say. I hope he doesn't mind me quoting him.

"There are no nanoluteus in the states. I deal with wholesalers and hobbyists around the world and no one has them any longer. The problem with the Crypthoheros and Archocentrus is twofold. For the last 5-6 years hobbyists around the world turned their focus to larger cichlids as larger aquariums became available at better prices. Large cichlids came into the “vogue”. I think I was the last breeder globally to breed the Central American “dwarfs” of these two genus’s. I truly enjoyed them. My customers stopped asking for them. Eventually, I too weeded them out of my “lineup” of commercially money making cichlids because of their lack of demand.

Now, today, it is next to impossible to find them in the wild. They simply have disappeared as have the Astatheros complex of cichlids. These cichlid types are not basal. They are the latest species of evolution. They are also the most delicate American species because of this very fact. Urban and agricultural runoff of waterway contamination “did the wild gene pools in first”. You can only reproduce them in captivity for 2-3 generations before their DNA literally goes bad. Their genes are weak because they are not basal. They simply will not breed after 4th generation. Every single species of these three genus’s, with the exception of nigrofasciatum, should be place on the “red list”. They are all near extinction levels. They are all currently enthreatend to say the least.

In the past couple of years they have come back into commercial demand. They cannot be found for purchase in captivity. More importantly, they can no longer be found in their natural habitats. One has to have viable brood stock to propagate them but they are not available. If you can find domestically bred specimens anywhere, pick them up and try to work with them. Also, please let me know if you are capable of obtaining any viable gene pools."

- Don Conkel

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, interesting. Maybe I should try getting mine to breed again. They produced a brood of viable fry which were doing well for about a month then slowly got picked off one by one (left them in with the parents too long I guess).
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.