· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dying shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by crystalite
    I am definitely going to upgrade to a larger tank in the long run and will seed it and leave it cycling for at least two months before I start to transfer my fish. I've also invested in a drip acclimating kit so any future fish will have the best chances.
    Again, there is no such thing as "leaving a tank to cycle for 2 months" - it is cycled ONLY when your water parameters read like THIS: 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites & 20ppm or less nitrates - it might take longer or shorter than 2 months depending upon whether you do it with fish or without fish (which tends to take less time because you can grow bacteria faster).
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to read of your loss.
    If that store medicated the tank which housed some fish and shrimp, the shrimp would have been poisoned by the med's in the tank.
    But as you have already read, make sure your tank is totally cycled before adding some shrimp.
    When I sterilized my tank I knew I had killed off all the beneficial bacteria and I would have to start over again.
    After the tank was set-up to my liking, I went to my larger established 55 gallon and took a piece of the filter material out of it and placed it in the filter of my 10 gallon to be shrimp tank. I didn't want the beneficial bacteria to run out of food and die in that filter so I went to the pet store and bought two male guppies to put into that tank until I was sure the ammonia and nitrite levels stayed at 0.00ppm. After a few weeks (with weekly water changes), I took out the guppies and added my shrimp.
    The tank stayed at 0.00ppm every test since then. My shrimp have tripled in amount and are really a nice dark red colour.
    Good luck and dont give up.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    And what did you do with the guppies?
    3 potted plants and 6 strings of plastic do not make a planted tank!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm upgrading to a larger tank as soon as I can find a decent one so I might try adding the old filter media like you did strider199. I might try the shrimp again once the new tank is fully established but I won't be buying them from the same store and I definitely won't be asking for their advice on anything relating to my aquarium.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If the tank is cycled i would check gh and kh on the shrimp you are keeping. RCS are hardy shrimps and they shouldn't die that easily.

0 Not allowed!
    Get some algae pellets for them. They need a constant source of food and with your tank new, there probably isn't much for them to eat. You did not mention plants but they love java moss, too. For hiding and cleaning. They also will eat a slice of cucumber and shrimp sticks, as well. Just stick a slice of cucumber with a fork and drop it in the water.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry zombify a post so long dead it's rotten, but we have a crystal red and I just wanted to check on something in this post on his behalf.

As someone said, lead is a very toxic heavy metal, and unles I'm really mistaken (and please by all means educate me if I am) as such it will be doubly toxic to any invertabrates as they are exceptionally sensitive to heavy metal poisoning. The reason I bring this up is I expected more people to point this out as the cause of death when I read that the plants were weighted with lead, and when only one person did I started to wonder if my logic here was flawed. Will the aquarium water not eventually leach so much out of the lead weights that everything in the tank can become poisoned?

Anyway sorry again to bump this buried post, but my curiosity frequently gets the best of me, and if I didn't ask and get an answer I'd sit up all night wondering. :)
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org