· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: ADF Housing

1. Default ADF Housing

0 Not allowed!
    I'm considering getting two ADFs for my 10g betta tank and just want to check that my accomodation is suitable. There are quite a few plants in there, and driftwood that comes up out of the water. There's also a coconut cave, which is what's kind of worrying me; would they be likely to get stuck in it and drown? There are 3 2" holes drilled in it.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    African Dwarf Frogs usually do best in a species only tank with no gravel. It is possible to keep them with a betta but you need to be careful. Bettas do have the potential of harming the ADF's. Also, they can steal all of their food. A lot of it depends on the betta. I've got 4 ADF's with a betta in a 15 gallon heavily planted tank. It works well for me but may not work with other bettas.

My ADF's never liked the frog pellets. My betta will always eat them and the frogs ignore them. I've found that they love beef heart, frozen brine shrimp and frozen blood worms. Avoid freeze dried food. Also, I feed the bloodworms the least because they aren't as healthy for them. Make sure you cut everything up small enough to be swallowed, ADF's don't have teeth.

If there's something in the tank they can get stuck in I'd remove it. ADF's are tons of fun but not exactly the brightest critters. They have really bad vision and I sometimes wonder how they survive in the wild.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, you needn't have worried about the betta harming the frogs. I was sure they'd be ok since Talyn (the betta) is very laid back. Too laid back, it seems since at 10pm one of the frogs completely ripped one of his pectoral fins right off. OH and I had to scramble to get my 5g filled with tank water, spare filter, heater etc. and get the frogs in there. We'll decide what to do with them tomorrow. Either we'll bring them back to the LFS or keep the little tank up and running with just them, though will need a lid for that.

I don't know what to do with Talyn. Reckon his fin will grow back or is he a goner?
    Last edited by kilyth; 05-09-2012 at 10:33 PM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kilyth
    Well, you needn't have worried about the betta harming the frogs. I was sure they'd be ok since Talyn (the betta) is very laid back. Too laid back, it seems since at 10pm one of the frogs completely ripped one of his pectoral fins right off. OH and I had to scramble to get my 5g filled with tank water, spare filter, heater etc. and get the frogs in there. We'll decide what to do with them tomorrow. Either we'll bring them back to the LFS or keep the little tank up and running with just them, though will need a lid for that.

I don't know what to do with Talyn. Reckon his fin will grow back or is he a goner?
    Clean water is the best medicine for fin damage.

Are you sure they weren't ACF's and not ADF's? African Dwarf Frogs are relatively small and not very strong.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Eyes on side of head, absolutely tiny, 4 webbed feet.

I'll be keeping his water spotless, don't worry.