· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Bully

Hybrid View

1. Default Bully

0 Not allowed!
    I need some advice, I have had two black Moor fish for 3 years and about 1 month ago one died. My remaining fish seemed very depressed so I purchased 2 small goldfish for company. They seemed to be getting on, however it seems now that the smaller darker gold fish is attacking the larger original black moor fish. The large fish is about 10times the size of the smaller fish. Should I split them up?

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum

What tank size are they all housed in? If they were in a suitabley sized tank there shouldnt be a problem.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They are in an 18x10x10 tank.
    Do you think they need a bigger tank? I am a complete novice at keeping fish, but I have become very fond of the ones I have and do not want to cause them any stress.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Im not sure how many gallons that is, but I know right away its too small for your stock. If you go to the goldfish section in the forum there is a lot of info on minimum tank sizes and requirements. I think a 75g is a starting size for goldfish.

If my memory is correct common goldfish can easily reach a foot long and moors just under a foot. Really commons are pond fish.
    Last edited by ScottishFish; 05-09-2012 at 10:26 AM.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My math skills aren't the sharpest, but that should be about 7gallons. I'm afraid that's too small for even one goldfish. They get really big, not that you'd know it from seeing them in petstores... I'd advise you to get the biggest tank you can for them. I'd suggest a tank size, but I'm no expert on goldfish sizes.
    "Can ye fathom the ocean, dark and deep, where the mighty waves and the grandeur sweep?" - Fanny Crosby

0 Not allowed!
    I put 3 feeder goldfish in my 55 gallon a few years ago and they grew to almost 8 inches. I had to put them in my mothers pond because they were getting so big!

So even though they look small in the LFS they do grow quite large so Id consider getting as large of a tank as you can.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by suify
    They are in an 18x10x10 tank.
    Do you think they need a bigger tank? I am a complete novice at keeping fish, but I have become very fond of the ones I have and do not want to cause them any stress.
    You have had this Moor for 3 years and claim you are a novice? After 3 years of this fish being in this small tank you certainly should have known by now that Moors get 10 inches and need far more room than you have given it...........much less two Moors in that space or one Moor and two unknowns.

I betcha those "unknowns" are common goldfish that will reach one foot?

There is no reason for not knowing your tank is too small for ANY goldfish after 3 years. I simply must believe you must be a TROLL because that is the only explanation for this.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 05-09-2012 at 02:34 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    There also is no tank size that is 18x10x10.

Shuttin' this down.