· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Can I add "reef"?

0 Not allowed!
    So I'm a newbie but I want to start a saltwater tank. (So I'll be asking a lot of questions)

I am thinking of starting a fish only tank because of time and ease, but if I do that can I then go add and cured live rock and start a small reef.

With that being said can I buy cured live rock? OR do I have to cure it myself after getting it? (it being live or dead rock)

The way I understand things is that my live rock would act as a) a filtration system and b) present a home for coral growth and hiding spots for my fish
    RIP Shark Bait, my Red Tail Shark :(

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not a saltwater guy but until one of the experts gets here, here's the basics:

An actual "Fish Only" salt water tank is one of the harder things to do. The easiest saltwater setup is Fish Only with Live Rock (FOWLR). You are correct in that live rock serves as the saltwater filtration system. Note that just having live rock does not make your setup a reef - reef tanks have live coral (live coral is not live rock - live rock is dead coral with live micro-organisms living on it) and the equipment needed to care for them. Reef tanks are a bit more involved than a FOWLR tank, but you can always start as a FOWLR and later add what you need to turn it into a reef.

You can "turn dead rock into live rock" by putting it in a tank together with live rock. It takes a while but saves you money. There are write-ups on how to do this in the forum.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    alright sweet I'll try to find those links about making the dead rock to live rock

so I guess my real question is... can I add coral later in the process? Run a FOWLR and then turn end up adding some nice coral later

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    yes you can. You'll likely need stronger lighting and perhaps some other equipment when you're ready to start adding coral, but no major hurdles. A lot of people do it that way.

There are some fish and inverts that are not "reef safe" though, so if you'll need to either avoid them in your FOWLR setup, or find a new home for them when you're ready to make the transition.
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    alright thanks! I was worried I had to make all the decisions early on lol

I'm already finding a major issue, thinking I can use a ten gallon, not realizing one the major difficulties that I found is finding fish that I can put in it!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    the usual advice for people getting into saltwater is "get the largest tank you can afford". Not only do you have more options for what you can put in it, but it'ss also easier to keep the water parameters where you need them with a larger tank since changes will happen more slowly.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yeah thats what I heard, I'm getting a house by school with my cousin and I think it would be a perfect project! I haveb a freshwater at home a little under 40 gallons but I really want a SW tank, I'm thinking FOWLR now because of your advice.

Can I buy live rock? Or do I gotta go through the curing process of dead rock?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The cheapest route for rock is to get a small piece of liverock and the rest dry rock.For a 10 gal you could have a 2 or 3 lb pc of lr and add another 10 lbs of dry rock. In time the dry becomes live after being seeded by the live rock. As you know,you will be limited to only 3 or 4 different species of fish that would work in such a small tank and you could only have 2 or 3 small fish under a few inches in length. You do not mention a spending amount you want to stick to.
    I do have to add that if you have any thoughts toward corals later on you want to start proper water keeping with that in mind right off the bat. Building up a bunch of nitrate and phosphates in your rock and sand now and it will be leaching out causing all sorts of hell in about 6 to 8 months. The best way to know your ready for sw keeping is to know all the answers before you go shopping,dont get it now then ask how later as that just leads to an empty wallet and dead or sick stock.
    Last edited by smaug; 05-09-2012 at 12:34 AM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll probably try to find another tank on craigslist or something, I may have to go for an alternate stand, I'm really not in the mood to spend like 100s on a stand just to go with the tank, if I could find a nice sized tank and stand together I'll end up doing that. I don't mind spending the money, I just can't go crazy and these fish are gonna cost enough as is, not like freshwater my fish are the least expensive part lol

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had a very nice 20 gal fowler before I transferred it all to my reef. It had a purple firefish,cherub angel and a royal gramma. That was stocked at the top edge and seemed to work well. I had a cuc of red leg hermits,cerith snails and a turbo. I had about 35 lbs of live rock and I used an ac 70 hob along with a 400 gph koralia powerhead. I did not have it this way long enough to know if it would have been a viable tank but from what little I know now I think it would have been. Keep your sand bed thin so it can be cleaned,under an inch and half or just an inch is fine. Dont buy into the live sand hype,it just makes things dirty. Get decent salt,instant ocean or oceanic brand in the non reef version is fine. Bite the bullet right away and buy a refractometer instead of a swing arm hydrometer you wont regret it. Do not cycle your tank with fish,any fish,dont let the lfs talk you into damsels in any way shape or form,they are pure evil,slimy scaled demons. The tank will cycle on its own using the small piece of live rock.After cycling,stock first with a few blue leg herms and some cerith snails [6 each] and leave it at that for month. Next fish could be a green clown goby followed by a firefish and the cherub if you like my stocklist.Read up on QT tanks and dont add these or any fish without doing the qt first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast