· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Stocking two tanks

0 Not allowed!
    Hello there! I have two tanks right now, 1 fully cycled which I recently cleared out (gave away the remaining fish), 1 still cycling that I'm getting set up. Now I'm looking for feedback and suggestions for stocking them both! Here's the situation:

Water is consistently hard and alkaline. Both tanks are kept at a steady 78 degrees.

Tank 1 is a 20 gallon bowfront. It has blue gravel, two plastic plants, and a large castle decoration. Currently it houses a dwarf gourami, which I got after giving away my pleco and black shark to continue the cycle/plus as a center piece for my aquarium. My hopes for this tank is to add either some male guppies, danios, or neon tetras. I'm concerned that the guppies might be attacked by the gourami, and I've never kept danios or neon tetras so I'm worried they'll die on me. Are these fish okay with hard, alkaline water? Any recommended small, schooling fish? I also would love to have some ghost shrimp; I'm a bit concerned, though, to have large ghost shrimp, in warm water, with small fish...

Tank 2 is a 10 gallon. It has brown/tan gravel, two plastic plants, two real plants, and a small castle decoration. Currently it houses a delta-tail male betta. I don't really have any solid plans for this one, but I know the fish needs to be compatible with live plants and a male betta. Suggestions?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fireopal
    Hello there! I have two tanks right now, 1 fully cycled which I recently cleared out (gave away the remaining fish), 1 still cycling that I'm getting set up. Now I'm looking for feedback and suggestions for stocking them both! Here's the situation:

Water is consistently hard and alkaline. Both tanks are kept at a steady 78 degrees.

Tank 1 is a 20 gallon bowfront. It has blue gravel, two plastic plants, and a large castle decoration. Currently it houses a dwarf gourami, which I got after giving away my pleco and black shark to continue the cycle/plus as a center piece for my aquarium. My hopes for this tank is to add either some male guppies, danios, or neon tetras. I'm concerned that the guppies might be attacked by the gourami, and I've never kept danios or neon tetras so I'm worried they'll die on me. Are these fish okay with hard, alkaline water? Any recommended small, schooling fish? I also would love to have some ghost shrimp; I'm a bit concerned, though, to have large ghost shrimp, in warm water, with small fish...

20 gallon advice:
    The 20 only houses 1 Gourami???
    Slowly add new tank mates in small numbers so cycle builds up if cycled:
    Tetra like Blood Fin or Silver Tip X 10-15
    Bristle Nose Pleco X 1 (needs piece of driftwood to munch on though)
    Otocinclus X 0-5
    If 10 Tetra and 0 Oto cats:
    Male Guppy X 2-5
    Apple Snails X 3

Tank 2 is a 10 gallon. It has brown/tan gravel, two plastic plants, two real plants, and a small castle decoration. Currently it houses a delta-tail male betta. I don't really have any solid plans for this one, but I know the fish needs to be compatible with live plants and a male betta. Suggestions?

10 gallon advice:
    Keep the Betta alone. But if you really want to try, there are not that many choices for tank mates. A smaller Tetra in a small school or Harlequin Rasbora school. I'm currently keeping a Crown Tail Betta with H. Rasbora in numbers of 7. So far no issues. Also, a couple-few otto cats should be fine.
    In the end, it's really up the Betta. When adding the fish, remove the Betta, rearrange the tank and add the new fish, then later the Betta. If Betta arrives later, chances are better will accept the new fish. Though it all depends on the Betta's personality if you can keep fish with him.
    I would avoid Neons, as they always seem sickly where-ever I see them and there's always some dead. If you can however find healthy ones, go for it. The ones I suggested should contrast fairly well with Blue gravel.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Danios are pretty hardy and would be a good tankmate. Have you looked at silvertip tetras? Really smashing little guys and as tough as coffin nails
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishFish
    Danios are pretty hardy and would be a good tankmate. Have you looked at silvertip tetras? Really smashing little guys and as tough as coffin nails
    Okay, thanks, I like the danio idea. Silvertip, eh? I don't know if my fish store sells them, but I'll have to look!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bignellm
    I would avoid Neons, as they always seem sickly where-ever I see them and there's always some dead. If you can however find healthy ones, go for it. The ones I suggested should contrast fairly well with Blue gravel.
    Yeah I've heard a variety of reports about neons; some people say they're good for beginners, some say they're sensitive and hard to keep. So I think I'd rather avoid them for now!

My fish store doesn't sell otos or bristle-nosed plecos, actually, but I'll look into the other fish you've suggested.

0 Not allowed!
    I would leave the 10 for the betta. They are quite happy being alone.

For the 20 gallon, I would stock all small fish and nix that gourami. Get fish that can easily swim in and out of that castle if you plan to keep it in the tank. (I had a gourami that swam into a castle and I had to tear him in half to get him out.)

Personally I would not put danio's in any tank. There are far nicer, calm fish that you can stock instead of a fish that is half nuts and swims 1000 miles an hour. Cherry Barbs remain small. Tetra's. Harlequin Rasbora.

Neons are not for beginners or for any tank not yet cycled. You do not have a planted tank and need no algae eaters or sucker fish. You could get some cherry shrimp.

PS.....This is a small tank. Do not stock it with 7 species of fish. One or two species is plenty.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 05-08-2012 at 04:31 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I would leave the 10 for the betta. They are quite happy being alone.

For the 20 gallon, I would stock all small fish and nix that gourami. Get fish that can easily swim in and out of that castle if you plan to keep it in the tank. (I had a gourami that swam into a castle and I had to tear him in half to get him out.)

Personally I would not put danio's in any tank. There are far nicer, calm fish that you can stock instead of a fish that is half nuts and swims 1000 miles an hour. Cherry Barbs remain small. Tetra's. Harlequin Rasbora.

Neons are not for beginners or for any tank not yet cycled. You do not have a planted tank and need no algae eaters or sucker fish. You could get some cherry shrimp.

PS.....This is a small tank. Do not stock it with 7 species of fish. One or two species is plenty.
    Why get rid of my gourami?

Good point about the algae eaters/suckers... I'll scratch that and just get a good number of small schooling fish. I've actually considered cherry barbs, they might be a good fit. I'll see what else they have at the fish store. Besides that I think I'll purchase some ghost shrimp (no cherry shrimp there) for the big tank and chuck a few into my 10 gallon and see what the betta does!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fireopal
    Why get rid of my gourami?

Good point about the algae eaters/suckers... I'll scratch that and just get a good number of small schooling fish. I've actually considered cherry barbs, they might be a good fit. I'll see what else they have at the fish store. Besides that I think I'll purchase some ghost shrimp (no cherry shrimp there) for the big tank and chuck a few into my 10 gallon and see what the betta does!

What ever you stock, I wouldn't put any Barbs in with the Betta.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bignellm
    What ever you stock, I wouldn't put any Barbs in with the Betta.
    Yeah, I figured as much. Apparently sometimes the barbs attack the betta, and sometimes the betta attacks the barbs, haha! And occasionally they get along swimmingly, but I'm not about to risk it!

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, but since there'd be more Barbs, the Betta be the one sure to lose in that one.