· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Holy Cloudy Water!!!

0 Not allowed!
    I set up a 20 gallon bow front 10 days ago to transfer some of the army that my daughter's fancy guppies are building. My goal is to get all males in the downstairs tank. The water tested fine and was clear for the first 10 days. Then I added a large, a medium and three small plants along with a nice piece of driftwood. Hours later the tank was clouding and today I can barely see anything unless it's up against the glass. Not sure what to do to correct this... I'm afraid if I do a water change it's only going to cloud again.

Here's the tank pre-plants and wood...

Shortly after adding the decorations...

And today when I got home from work!!!

ANY guidance is appreciated!!!

Erik

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank is cycling, you can read up on it in the beginner freshwater section
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Thanks for the tank list, will make my life much easier, cheers! - FinalJenemba Nailed it! - FinalJenemba I wanted my favorite drink! - BigPoppa My new Albino Plecos they are AWSOME! - BigPoppa Another favorite drink! - BigPoppa 
    Because it is the mutations - MLBfan 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BigPoppa World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - BigPoppa Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - BigPoppa Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - BigPoppa Gay and Lesbian Pride - BigPoppa 
    HIV/AIDS - BigPoppa Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - BigPoppa Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - BigPoppa 

0 Not allowed!
    Possibly some of that is from the driftwood releasing tannins. You can take it out and soak it in a bucket of water for couple weeks.

The tannins will not hurt your fish though.

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like a massive bacterial bloom from the beginning of your tanks cycle. I would test for Ammonia and take action on a water change if the results were higher than 0.5ppm

Also, tannins make the water look well, tannish. But as stated above, won't hurt anything.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I removed the driftwood and I'm boiling it now. I read that this will help to remove the tannins. After I boil it for a while I'll leave it in a bucket for a couple weeks.

The test strips I have apparently don't test for ammonia, but most of the other readings look OK to me. I'll have to pick up a test kit for the ammonia...

nitrate 10 ppm / safe
    nitrite 1.0 ppm / stress
    total hardness 150 ppm / hard
    chlorine 0 ppm / safe
    alkalinity 80 ppm / moderate
    pH 7.2 / neutral

Again, thanks everyone for your input!!! :)

0 Not allowed!
    Your readings (ie.. water quality) should be better than that. Your nitrite should be below 0.5ppm (0.25ppm is best). I would suggest a large water change now, and a second later on tonight.

I would also suggest getting a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH. They are a lot easier to get a more accurate reading as compared with the test strips.

The cycling with fish thread here explains the process your tank is going through right now. There's a link to it below in my sig
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    You can bet your Ammonia is spiked too, if your Nitrite is up like that.

Just wanna make sure these links aren't buried, with me posting a response.
    Fishless Cycle
    Cycle with Fish

I completely agree with Cliff on his remarks. You need a large Water Change, perferably 50% minimum.

0 Not allowed!
    Is that plant to the left a live Madagascar Lace plant? If so, I suspect it won't do well at all in what you are providing.
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think my nitrate reading is off... Probably from using strips. I stopped in at the aquarium supply on the way home and they were out of liquid test kits but they did have one for just ammonia so I picked that up for now. Thankfully it's not ammonia. I think I just have a tannin problem, which is annoying since the girl at the store I went to this weekend knew I never used real wood or plants and failed to mention boiling or soaking. I boiled the wood for an hour last night and the water was solid brown. It's sitting in a tote in the basement now and the water is between yellow and brown. I'll keep changing the water in the tote until it is clear. As for my tannin filled tank, the feedback I've received so far is that I should start over - which i'd rather not do, but will if there's no way to get the water clear again.

As for the plant Phillip... It is a Madagascar lace and I hope I don't lose it - it cose me $20!

0 Not allowed!
    I heard it will only grow in very high light and nutrient rich substrate-Namley heard success mainly dirted. And they get very, very big.
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read