· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default The Death of my Dirted Tank

0 Not allowed!
    I set up a dirted tank a couple weeks ago and was battling the ammonia in it. My boyfriend was kind enough to dump a bucket this morning and fill it back up with the dechlorinator added. However he also decided to dump said bucket in the tank. The tank is only five gallons. Needless to say, dirt everywhere, gravel uprooted. Plants up rooted.

I was so angry, but now looking back it's kind of humorous. So now I've decided to start over from scratch but I'm not going dirted this time. I am just using some white gravel I have. I may get a little piece of drift wood for the tank and attach some Java Fern to attach to it and some rocks. The tank is only five gallons, and it's a tall tank, not a normal five gallon. I have a 15w compact fluorescent on the tank so the Java Fern will be fine. I may try some dwarf hairgrass as well.

Anyways, onto my questions. I have a five gallon that is currently running with my Betta. It's a fluval Nano, could I take the sponge out and cut it in half and use that to cycle the five gallon that is not up and running yet? Or will it not be enough to cycle it? If I can do this, should I test the water a lot?

Thanks!
    3 Gallon Planted Betta Tank
    4 gallon planted Aqueon Evolve Dwarf Puffer Tank

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You might want to just start a fishless cycle on the other tank. Though, if you are just gonna be housing another betta, then the sponge cutting should be enough for seeing bacteria.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pjaldave
    You might want to just start a fishless cycle on the other tank. Though, if you are just gonna be housing another betta, then the sponge cutting should be enough for seeing bacteria.

The inhabitant will be a dwarf puffer, so a little more waste than a Betta. Should I still fishless cycle or cut the sponge?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would go with the fishless cycling route. But, if you want, you can do the sponge cutting, but you have to pay attention closely on the water parameters if you're going this way.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pjaldave
    I would go with the fishless cycling route. But, if you want, you can do the sponge cutting, but you have to pay attention closely on the water parameters if you're going this way.
    What if I put the whole filter in there along side a new filter and put the betta in there? Would this cycle the tank without harming the Betta? Then I could just move the Betta back to his old tank with his filter.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Putting fish back and forth, tank to tank, is not advisable as it may be stressful to your fish. Remember, every tank is unique in its own way.

Or, you can put the new filter in the betta's tank to let it seed for a month.