· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Smile Dwarf Puffer Fish

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys!

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with fresh water dwarf puffer fish? Ive done a bit of reading and am aware that its best house them in their own tank, so i have a spare 20gallon that i could set up for them.

Any information from experiences would be great! also if anyone had any luck with another species in the same tank.

Thanks!!!!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've kept them before and currently am setting up a tank for another one.

20 Gallons will be just fine for a Dwarf Puffer. Small fish but do produce a decent amount of waste. I fed mine mostly Bloodworms and Mysis Shrimp. I also feed snails as well, I just get them for free from stores in the area. Same snails that are a nuisance in most tanks are a welcome treat in the Puffer tank.

They are awesome fish with interesting personalities.

I have never tried to keep Dwarf Puffers with any other fish. Otos are the only fish you can keep with them and that is even hit or miss.
    3 Gallon Planted Betta Tank
    4 gallon planted Aqueon Evolve Dwarf Puffer Tank

0 Not allowed!
    From the research I have done on these guys, you can probably keep about 1 male and 2 to 3 females in that tank (assuming it is long and not high)
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Dwarfs are more relaxed then they are given credit for I think. Still species only but I didn't see much aggression towards each other, I kept 3 in a 10. No idea what sex they where, they couldn't have been less inclined to fight, never seen tamer fish.

One thing I didn't realize before I saw them is just how small they really are. You cant tell from the youtube videos, they make neons look huge, that's how small they are lol.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    They really prefer a heavily planted tank, apparently they get bored more easily and are more troublesome in a relatively bare environment. Best to have a steady supply of snails available too, they'll quickly clean out any in the tank and eat them faster than they can reproduce unless the snails are in a different tank. For that matter a large plastic tote with a sponge filter would be fine for a snail farm.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have one and he has a supply of snails and he also gets froozen boodworms. He had some ghost shrimp for friends but I think he decided they were tasty. Down to one shrimp. He doesnt eat them all he just bites them and kills them.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashbaxter
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience with fresh water dwarf puffer fish? Ive done a bit of reading and am aware that its best house them in their own tank, so i have a spare 20gallon that i could set up for them.

Any information from experiences would be great! also if anyone had any luck with another species in the same tank.
    I am a new DSP keeper but I do have two female Dwarf Spotted Puffers in a 20G tank and they get along wonderfully so far. They lived together at the LFS for more than 6 months that I know of so they were buddies already.

Mine eat Snails & blood worms and actually live with [And essentially ignore so far] two molly fry that survived the "Great molly purge of the 20" and I have not bothered to catch them yet [But I will].
    BTW I am not suggesting mollys as tank mates, This was an accident. It didn't spell immediate disaster though.

My Other LFS has a pair of DSP [Also female if adults & I think they are as they have been there a while also] that I intend to add to this tank for a total of four in my Standard 20 when I feel it is 'junglefied' enough.

IMO - They are tiny and curious but cautious fish that are very interesting to watch.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i have lots of experence with dwarf puffer fish they will do great in your 20gallon tank i have one in my 10 gallon and he is doing amazing. Check him out at let me know what you think of him.