· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Marineland Emperor, Model 400B

0 Not allowed!
    I got one of these filters about 2 years ago when I bought a complete 55 gallon set-up because I had wanted the tank and the lights. It's been sitting in the closet ever since.

Now that Im setting up a 33 gallon tank for my father, Im thinking that this filter might be a good fit for that tank.

Ive read about a lot of people taking the biowheels off and just using some bio media (like bio-max) instead of the cartridges. I think that might be the way to go for my dads tank as you can get a lot of bio-media in there and I can set-up a simple DIY flow diverter so the fish are not bothered by the extra flow.

Just wondering if anyone else here is currently using this filter in the same way that can offer some feedback on the idea. I have never used one of these filters before.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I've run them on 29g tanks. No problem with flow. The 400b has slots for four filter cartridges. My current preference is to use a filter frame and a mesh bag of Eheim Substrat Pro in the front slot and a frame with quilt batting in the back. The back frames can be rinsed for some time, or simply alternated with new batting as needed.
    The front frame can also be loaded with a sponge cut from an AC70 sponge.

I've recently come to like these filter frames.
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...2&pcatid=11352

The Emperor Bio3 Cartridges fit Emperor 280 and 400 filters.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the help dbosman

I'll give that a try
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I did just as you have described, Cliff. Replaced everything with foam and bio-max. Removed the nusiance spray bar and the bio-wheel, too. That was before I threw it out the back door into the snowbank. :)

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, I'll keep that in mind

I also have a AC70. I might just use that with one of the fluval 3 internal filters for my Dad. With all the stuff in my "spares" closet, I've got a few different options

I think I might just keep the Marineland filter as a back-up to use, just in case