· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Growing Hair Algae

0 Not allowed!
    good day AC,

i know some have grown their own Green hair algae for their fish. i have a spare 5G tank that i want to grow macro algae or green hair algae- i want to start with green hair because its free lol.

what can i add to my water for nutrients to raise the nitrate level for food for the algae.

i currently have a regular light bulb running for 16hrs a day, water params are good and "over feeding" is just taking a little long- also ammonia doseing and wiating for it to become nitrate is taking a littlw long also. but when the nitrates are high the algae will eat it so how can i keep them stable?
    10G Algae tank-The Nano was moved to the 55G
    55G Reef-
    55G FOWLR-soon
    55G Coral only-soon
    150G-reef/ fowlr? Soon
    75G predator tanksoon

DIY live rock

0 Not allowed!
    I'm been having some pretty good luck lately growing macro algae in my sumps with nitrate levels around 1 ppm

Based on that, I would sugges filling the 5 gallon tank with old water from a waterchange on your main tank so you should not have to worry about testing and adjusting your Cal and Mag. and add your rocks to it along with a power head for some water movement (low to medium). You'll alos need a heater to maintain the temp around 77 to 78.

For lighting I have had the best luck with a simple shop light fixture and a ~6500 K CLF bulb. I forget the exact wattage, but I did remember selecting the wattage to make it similar to medium to high light levels. I have the lights on for 17 hours each day.

If you have nitrates in your main tank, that should be enough to get your algae going. If you do weekly waterchanges on the 5 gallon you should be replenishing the nitrates used by the algae. As long as your nitrate level is around 5 ppm you should be good. I would not suggest higher levels than 10 ppm or your rocks could start to soak up some of the nitrates and leach then out into the main tank. If you having trouble maintaining the nitrate around 5 ppm, you could add a little fish food to the tank. I would not worry to much about doing that tho unless you are having problems getting some to grow
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    that makes alot of sense , thanks cliff, how fast is yours growing ? do you have an optimum time the lights should be on?

go figure when we dont want algae we cant get rid of it, but when we want algae we cant grow it lol.
    Last edited by Hpimichael02; 05-06-2012 at 07:27 PM.
    55G Reef-
    55G FOWLR-soon
    55G Coral only-soon
    150G-reef/ fowlr? Soon
    75G predator tanksoon

DIY live rock

0 Not allowed!
    I've had the best luck so far with higher levels of 6700K lighting on for 18 hours. I've tried lighting from ~300K to 12,000 K for a few weeks at a shot, but their was a noticeable difference at 6700K. I've also tried a few different lighting period and 18 hours seems to work best

I've had OK luck so far. All the macro algae that I have tried has done well, just grew slower than normal as my nitrates are lower than what they typically thrive in.

You also have to keep in mind, so far I have only tried macro algae that like higher lighting levels. Some of them to best in lower lighting and for shorter periods of time.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    so i got some base rock throw it in my 10G tank and started the algae just after this thread was posted. the rock has turned green with tiny hair algae starting to grow :) also importing copepods into the display tank at the same time :), ill give it another week or so and see where its at before i give one piece to the DT for my coral beauty and tang
    55G Reef-
    55G FOWLR-soon
    55G Coral only-soon
    150G-reef/ fowlr? Soon
    75G predator tanksoon

DIY live rock