· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: What is that?

1. Default What is that?

0 Not allowed!
    Not having had the time to research this at all...my apologies. I was just looking at POTM section...beautiful pics BTW. I can identify some of the species, but not all. If one were to love what they view so much that they want one for their tank, there is no identification to what they see. In other words...would it be possible for the editors to include the species in the picture. Be it common name or scientific name.

JUST a quick thought and i dont mean to offend anyone, thats not my intention.

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with you, I like to know the scientific names of the interesting, rare fish that are sometimes included in the contest.
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

Lightbulb

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sir kyle
    If one were to love what they view so much that they want one for their tank, there is no identification to what they see. In other words...would it be possible for the editors to include the species in the picture. Be it common name or scientific name.
    In the meantime, One immediate option that comes to mind to answer any species question you have is this:

Send a PM to the person that took the pic and ask them what's what.. It's SO crazy that it just might work.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yes, thats true...but I was thinking about this in terms of when the person is no longer an active member and waiting for a post that may never come seems a bit cruel in a way.
    In a society that wishes to have instant gratification, email is the new snail mail and sending a letter through the mail is prehistoric...lol. How times have changed!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know it is very irritating when you can't find the answers you need.. but every time i've had a question about a species (whether or not it was carried in store) I just asked someone at Big Al's (with a picture of course) www.bigalscanada.com or www.bigalsonline.ca for a location (canada only). Don't worry, I don't work here, I'm not just trying to plug a company name :)

Also noob's way out here--> if the species you're trying to find looks similar to another one (fins, face, body shape) and you know the type of community it is in (freshwater, cichild, salt water/marine) then google goes a lot further than you think. I found out the specific and common names for my tetras (RIP) from petsmart years ago by typing "long orange tailed tetra freshwater" on google.. could've made it sound less stupid.. but it works majority of the time lol.

BUT STILL, you made a very valid point. Specific and/or common names should be posted with each picture.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sir kyle
    yes, thats true...but I was thinking about this in terms of when the person is no longer an active member and waiting for a post that may never come seems a bit cruel in a way.
    In a society that wishes to have instant gratification, email is the new snail mail and sending a letter through the mail is prehistoric...lol. How times have changed!
    This is a bit hard to do when our contests are anonymous, too. You can't ask the question if you don't know who the picture belongs to. Enough members are around to take a look for you tho.