· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Lemon Tetra with red spots / sores on his tail and body

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Guys,
    Since last week one of my lemon tetra started showing red spots/sores on his tail and body. I have quarantined the tetra and treating it with anti-bacterial medicine. for last two days it looked like he is getting better but today I am seeing one more new red spot on his body.

I have posted few picture of him, kindly some one help me identifying the disease so that we can help him with cure.

~Karthikeyan

0 Not allowed!
    A few questions - how long has he been in the tank? Are there other fish in the tank with him?
    How large is your tank and what are your most current water parameters? How often do change your water and how much at a time?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    He is alone in the quarantine tank for last 3 days, its a 12 litre tank

Ammonia - 0
    Nitrate - I don't have the test kit
    Ph - I don't have the test kit
    quarantine tank has a 3W HOB filter and it has no decorations or live plants

I do a 75% water change daily.

Andrea, are you aware of this disease? have you come across one like this before?

~Karthikeyan

4. Post

0 Not allowed!
    here is the new pictures after 2 days of treatement with anti-bacterial medicine, looks like he is getting better, but still I am not sure about my diagnose. he is still breathing faster and not completely closing his mouth during the breath cycle. He is active but not showing intrest to food, so occasionaly I am using holiday food at very small quantity may be 2g or 5g

Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    A few questions.

Is your main tank cycled?
    Is the quarantine tank cycled?
    Are they new fish?
    And what tank is having the 75% water changes daily? The QT or the main tank?

75 % water changes each day is far too much for both tanks in my opinion. Definitely too much for the main tank, and depending on what the medication instructions say, probably too much for the QT tank.

The reason behind those questions, is because sometimes ammonia poisoning can cause red spots and streaks on some fishes bodies and fins, as well as around the gills. Lack of appetite and gasping/rapid breathing are also symptoms.

The only other thing that I can come up with, that causes red spots like that is anchor worms, but I'm not so sure that that's the problem. I can't quite see good enough, in the pictures. Usually you can see the worm attached to the fish. Can you see anything like a small white piece of thread, attached to the center of the spots?
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

6. Unhappy

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by escamosa
    A few questions.

Is your main tank cycled?
    yes

Is the quarantine tank cycled?
    yes

Are they new fish?
    No - 1.5months old

And what tank is having the 75% water changes daily? The QT or the main tank?
    Quarantine Tank

75 % water changes each day is far too much for both tanks in my opinion. Definitely too much for the main tank, and depending on what the medication instructions say, probably too much for the QT tank.

The reason behind those questions, is because sometimes ammonia poisoning can cause red spots and streaks on some fishes bodies and fins, as well as around the gills. Lack of appetite and gasping/rapid breathing are also symptoms.

The only other thing that I can come up with, that causes red spots like that is anchor worms, but I'm not so sure that that's the problem. I can't quite see good enough, in the pictures. Usually you can see the worm attached to the fish. Can you see anything like a small white piece of thread, attached to the center of the spots?
    They are not worms for sure, I have seen them in my gold fish. both the tank shows 0 Ammonia. mean while he did not make his day successfully and I just now buried him .

anyways I would like to know the details for future care.
    All this started last week end after using the JBL week end block during my vacation. I am just thinking will that be a cause of ammonia hike during my absence.

0 Not allowed!
    What is a JBL weekend end block - is that for extended feeding?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT

0 Not allowed!
    How long were you gone?
    5 gal QT

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    for three days, I had similar experience with my 4 gold fish about 6months back but then I used a different brand of week end block, the aquarist shop owner recommended this brand and it was bit costly, so thought it might do the job with no issues, but failed even this time, now i have got a new automatic fish food feeder which should solve this issue in future.
    Last edited by karthikeyan_sw; 05-08-2012 at 04:08 PM.