· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default I'm almost there!! Need final stocking advice

0 Not allowed!
    It has been a very long journey, but it looks like my tank is almost finished cycling as I have finally detected nitrates!

Some highlights of my journey so far:

01/28/12: Purchased a 10 gallon Marineland BioWheel LED aquarium.
    01/31/12: Added 3 Glofish.
    02/17/12: Added 3 more Glofish.
    03/12/12: Found Aquatic Community online forum - posted "Cycling 10 gallon with Glofish - now what?"
    04/02/12: Thanks to the great advice of the members of the Aquatic Community, I upgraded to a 36 gallon Aqueon bow front aquarium, with Quiet Flow 30 power filter
    04/03/12: Transferred Glofish from 10 gallon to 36 gallon, moved partially cycled Penguin 100 BioWheel filter over to 36 gallon tank.
    04/21/12: Added 2 more Glofish.
    05/04/12: Nitrites dropping, hint of nitrates appearing (Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0.25, Nitrate < 5)

So now, here's my plan:

I would like to add a school of 10-15 harlequin rasboras. Once my 36 gallon finishes cycling, I plan to move the Penguin 100 BioWheel filter back to the 10 gallon, which I will use as a quarantine tank. I'm assuming this will initiate a mini-cycle in the 36 gallon tank - how long should this take?

I'm planning to add 5 harlequins to the QT for ~ 2 weeks, then transfer them to the 36 gallon and add 5 more to the QT. After I add 10 harleys to the 36 gallon, how will I know whether I could add any additional harleys? Would the nitrate levels give me a clue? What about the behavior of the fish? My goal is to maximize the school size without overstocking. Thanks again for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think that you could have 15 harlequins in there withought problem. You can after that add some other fish. I would make sure that your glofish school is at at least 10.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

0 Not allowed!
    I assume that once you are done with your QT, you are going to be running both filters on your 36 gal right? The Quiet Flow won't be enough by itself. I also don't necessarily think you would need to increase the glofish but then again, I'm not familiar with how large they grow eventually - I'm questioning whether 36gal is adequate for 2 larger groups of fish like that.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking of putting a new AquaClear 30 on the 36 gallon as a back-up filter after I move the Penguin 100 over to the QT. I'm kind of afraid to remove the Penguin 100, though - I wonder how much of my beneficial bacteria is in that BioWheel, and I really don't want to lose my cycle.

As for the number of fish, how do you know when you've reached capacity?

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    For a rough idea on stocking (relative to filters and tank size), see:

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, Cermet. Aqadvisor says I would be 81% stocked with 10 Glofish and 15 Harlequin rasboras, and have 205% filtration. The problem is that several people on this forum think that is too many fish for a 36 gallon. Obviously, this isn't an exact science, but how does one know when they are well stocked vs. overstocked?

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    At 86% stocking level, you should be fine with that over filtering. If you have any live plants that will further help. Stay up with the water changes and you should be fine - just keep an eye on the nitrates (and do WC to keep below 10 - 15 ppm.)

Awards Showcase

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyturner
    I'm kind of afraid to remove the Penguin 100, though - I wonder how much of my beneficial bacteria is in that BioWheel, and I really don't want to lose my cycle.
    If the filter wheel doesn't get dry nor allowed to strave, transfering should be fine.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, as Cermet said, bacteria only die if they are allowed to dry out or aren't exposed to ammonia for more than a day or two.

As for knowing whether you are overstocked - from what I've read here, if you are having difficulty keeping your water parameters good from water change to water change or there is some aggression between fish because they feel cramped, then you might consider yourself overstocked - I'm not saying you are with what you're interested in, that's just what I've seen are potential indicators.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in