· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Thumbs up My 75 Gallon Make Over

0 Not allowed!
    I'm a little late in starting this thread since the makeover is all but over now, but wanted to share anyway. :)

To start, I've had this 75 gallon aquarium running for a little over 6 years. I did a fishless cycle before adding any fish. My original stocking list mainly consisted of gouramis. I had opaline, pearls, and gold. I also had tiger barbs and I dabbled in bolivian rams as well. Today, my stocking list is slightly different. I now have 15 tiger barbs (5 green, 5 tiger, and 5 albino), 2 juvie firemouth cichlids, 2 dojo loaches, 3 yoyo loaches, and a sailfin pleco. I've had the loaches from the beginning and my sailfin started out in my aquarium at work, but outgrew it so I bought him a 75 gallon to live in. I realize now that I should've gotten a bigger tank for a sailfin, but he's only about 9-10" long now and over 8 so I'd think it's safe to say that he's done growing. He seems very content here.

I had a big die off a year or so ago and decided that I'd keep the tank up and running until my loaches and pleco passed or got rehomed and then I was going to tear the tank down. Well, a recent trip to the store changed that. I saw the juvie firemouth cichlids and I had to get them. That sparked my dedication all over again. I wanted to give them a more natural home and I think I've done a pretty good job with it, but I'm always open to suggestions if you have any.

First I'll start with a before picture. This shot was taken before any changes were made.

Big change number consisted of getting rid of the black and white gravel mix and a switch over to sand. I used Quikrete Commercial Grade Fine sand. This transition was a lot easier than I was expecting and the fish seem to be very happy with it! This photo shows the tank almost a week after the change.

Lastly, the change I made yesterday. I took out all of the fake rocks and driftwood and put some REAL driftwood in. I think it looks awesome with the real driftwood in there!

I would love to hear your feedback and if you can think of anything different I should do. My main concern is making sure my pleco has a good hiding spot. He has been hanging out under the long piece of driftwood. I thought he'd be upside down hanging on, but he's actually laying on the sand. He's acting normal, he's eating and exploring a lot more since I changed from gravel to sand. Do you think this "cave" is suitable?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If I were you I would add a few TALL plants to that tank. You need some more vertical stuff in there. I just think that with something to draw your eye up the tank will be much more enjoyable.

Your pleco looks nice. If he likes his cave then it should be fine. Just make sure that there is now were he can get into but not out of.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with the above. It looks awesome, and it would look even awesomer with some taller things to fill in area. Like plants. :) I really like the sand much better than the gravel.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys! Unfortunately, I just gave my "leftovers" to my brother who's just getting in the hobby. I have no more plants aside from what's in there. I suppose I could look around to see if there are any at good prices available though. :)

It's been just over a week since I switched to sand and I can say that I'm NOT going back to gravel. These fish love the sand so much. I have some pretty cool videos that I'd like to post here, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do it on my new camera. Once I figure it out I will share. :)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great choice IMO tanks look much better with sand instead of gravel. Sand gives it a more natural look and fish really love sand especially ones that occupy the bottom of the tank like cory cats!
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!

0 Not allowed!
    Nice job. Looks good.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys! I'm so glad I changed. Just seeing the change in the fish behavior makes it all worth it. You can tell that they're much happier now. :)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree your tank look awesome. I just changed my gravel to sand yesterday. I posted the pics in my journal. It was very worth it, the water is crystal clear and my fish love it! Nice job.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm so glad I decided on sand before I started my new tank a month ago. I just love how it looks! Your tank looks great, and I love that the pleco has a pleco-shaped/sized cave to hide in!