· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    my head is spinnning from all the input of lighting...lol. i didnt know the leds were adequate enough to give enough light to support plant growth. i will have to look at links to see or be told what is average for leds to support low to mid light plants. any suggestions or direction would be appreciated...thanks in advance guys

0 Not allowed!
    sir kyle: the advice given here in this thread is about reef tank lighting, not FW planted lighting. Reef lighting would exceed what is needed for high light FW plants
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    IMO, if you really want LEDs but are not ready to break the bank, then go DIY. You don't sacrifice quality, and you can get the same level of control as some of the expensive fixtures give you. Just to give you an idea, my 210 would require 3 Radions with a price tag of ~$750 each, I'm doing a DIY setup through Rapidled.com that will light my whole tank to a level I need for less then the price of one.
    Again, IMO, I wouldn't drop the cash for a 6 bulb Nova Extreme when you can spend just just a little more and get into LEDs that won't cost you as much in the long run. Your energy costs will be lower, and bulb replacement will virtually be a thing of the past. I was going to light my 210 with a couple of low end T5 fixtures, but when I did the math, I discovered that by spending the extra up front on LEDs, they would pay for themselves in 3 years.
    Just to be clear,you are suggesting that diy led is cheaper then a 6 bulb nova?

0 Not allowed!
    No, not suggesting it is cheaper up front, but longterm it is. You won't spend that much extra on a DIY LED setup really. Cheapest price around that I can find on the 48" 6x54w Nova Extreme is $330. For a 55gal tank you could do a good LED setup for just another $50-$60. Add heatsinks to this retrofit kit from RapidLED and one of their controllers and you spend less than $500 and have a pretty good LED setup that will grow anything you want in a 55gal.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks cliff, sorry i distracted you guys. will pay more attention next time

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No distraction,we are here FOR the distraction

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sir kyle
    thanks cliff, sorry i distracted you guys. will pay more attention next time
    No worries sir kyle. I just did not want you see you try to apply the lighting we are talking about here to a FW set-up.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12